Anyone suffer this

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia 2 months ago and have been on iron tablets since just 1 a day as they gave me really bad stomach problems. My hemoglobin is within normal range now but my iron is still on the lower side the doc said they said need to take tablets for 4 months anyway I still get days were I feel lightheaded etc has anyone else felt this?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi do you know what your iron level is? I'm going to get mine tested again soon. When my ferritin was 16 I was constantly lightheaded. Five months down the line I don't feel anywhere near as lightheaded but I still get lightheaded days (especially around my period - the reason my iron is low in the first place!) I take 3 tablets a day as I have been lucky enough to have no problems with them.
    • Posted

I can't remember what it is now have doctor on thursday again. My period just finished a few days ago I guess that could be the reason I feel this way. I started on 3 a day and they have gave me so much trouble I now have acid reflux and bad indigestion which I didn't have before ever. That's y I cut down to 1 a day just so I was getting something just makes it a slower process I suppose. Thank you for replying it's good to get a wee bit of reassurance that I'm not only one feels this way
  • Posted

It is a very slow process (well it has been for me) Which iron tablets are you on? After both my pregnancies I was put on ferrous sulphate but couldnt take them, but I'm on ferrous fumerate this time round and I'm so surprised I haven't had problems with them other than some indegestion! I also take a sachet of spatone a day.
    • Posted

Yeah I thot it would be a quick fix but definetly not. I'm on ferrous fumarate aswell 210mg I was on ferrous sulphate after my son's aswell and these were fine haha I suffer really bad with these fumarate ones but felt once with anemia so il suffer it for few more months haha
  • Posted

It takes a while to build up your iron stores again if you are deficient. There are a variety of causes as to why your iron stores may have dropped. It is quite normal to feel lightheaded and/or dizzy when low on iron. Keep taking the recommended dose and the doctor will probably test your hb and your ferritin/folate levels in 4 months to see if your iron stores have built up again. I've been anaemic since my teens and been popping Irin tablets for years. Its only recently they've discovered I'm not iron, folate, B12 or ferritin deficient..I feel ill most days. I'm being referred to a Haematologist so we'll see what that reveals. All the best :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.