Anyone suffering from weight loss?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've looked all over the Internet and found very little on weight loss caused by haemochromatosis. I have lost 2.5 stones in a year despite eating more than most people. I have been checked for diabetes and am okay but I do feel hungry all the time. Has anyone else experienced this?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Its interesting you mentioned this, I have had a amazing crave for sugar since my treatments started, weight has really stayed the same.  Nurses always tell me that I am craving sugar because I am not eating enough protein.  I don't know its been really hard to stay away from beef, we are beef farmers ????? My levels are down from 850 to 56 doing treatments once a month with labs every two. Its not easy

• Posted

I have gone from 1400+ to 622 but the weight loss started well before my first treatment. I have cut some foods out but I still eat many others, including protein. I don't have a very sweet tooth.

• Posted

hey eric,

brace yourself. personally i crashed hard (losing weight) then basically over night gained it back. like every other convo on here, its not a quick fix, just ride it out.

• Posted

Mary, please check your local library for book "The Hemochromatosis Cookbook" by Cheryl Garrison from the Iron Disorders Institute.  Or ask them to get it in for you.  It explains why it is not necessary to avoid red meat.  Just don't have it every meal.

Your nurse is right - avoid the sugars and starches and eat more protein and greens.

• Posted

sorry if that was vague. it was a bumpy ride at first, but listen to your doctor. after a few months of hell i felt like a new man. really cant explain it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.