Anyone take amitriptyline 10mg with citalopram for insomnia?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I've done 3 wks at 10mg and 10 wks at 20mg. I've mostly got over the really horrific nausea and anxiety but can't get rid of the insomnia.

On a good night I may get 3/4 hrs sleep but waking up nearly every hour. A bad night can be laying awake from 3am ish. It's not anxiety that's keeping me awake I just can't sleep.

My GP has suggested a small 10mg dose of amitriptyline as this may help me sleep and also ease my bad back (although it's not my back keeping me awake ). I've been reluctant to try this as the thoughts of side effects and feeling groggy has put me off . I was hoping the insomnia would sort itself out but it doesn't seem to be settling.

Has any one else been in this position - it's really frustrating!

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I took melatonin 3mg. It's natural and it helps me to stay asleep. You can get it at most pharmacies over the counter

• Posted

Hi Tom, thanks for replying - is it liquid medicine cause I can only take tablets, strange I know just got a thing about liquids !

Did you have bad insomnia then?

• Posted

Yes I had bad insomnia

It comes in liquid, gel caps and tablet

For an hour before I go to sleep I wood turn off all electronics and unwind.

Melatonin is produced by your body naturally to help with sleep.

I find that exercise in the evenings also helped. Just min walk around the block

• Posted

Just 20 min walk
  • Posted

Hi Gerrymoo,

?Yes, I do.  Before starting Cital nearly 4 years ago, I had an awful time sleeping.  My doctor started me off on 20mg of Cital, and told me to take it 30 min before bed, with a little food.  I had no real problems like a lot of other do in the beginning with the upset stomach, anxiety and so on.  It did help me to sleep, with was a blessing, as I was only getting 2-3 hours a night.  I have other health issues which give me a very upset stomach now, and my Gastro doc put me on the Amitriptyline 10mg, and it not only has calmed my stomach down, but has also helped me with sleep!  I take it at night 30 minutes before I go to bed with my other night time meds, and I have no issues with side effects what so ever.  I wake up fine, and have no issues during the day from the meds.  I have Sjogrens Syndrom, so I get extremely tired, but not from the meds, only from this darn disease, it's a auto immune disease, and has gone inside to my organs, and I also have other auto immune issues, like RA and Lupus, so like I said, I have other issues as well.  LOL  But as far as the Amitrip, and Cital combined, no issues with taking them together. 

?I wish you good luck!!  I hope it works for you...as it sure does work for me...and what a relief to finally get sleep!!!  xo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.