Anyone take an antibiotic for a Urinary Tract Infection.

Posted , 12 users are following.

Took Clindamycin for UTI before and it wiped out my Pred.

Gluts hurt so bad I couldn't walk. After two weeks and upping my Pred I could finally walk with crutches. This time they gave me Bactrim. So afraid to take it but I know I need something. Thanks

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I had ampicillin twice while taking Pred.  It worked both times and I'm sure it didn't affect the Pred. Hope you find something compatible soon. 

• Posted

Thank you for reply. I will be taking Bactrim. Hope it works without any problems
  • Posted

I have taken an antibiotic for UTI.  Worked fine.  Also was on very low dose for 6 months to kill off the ecoli bug in bladder.   Where do you live?

• Posted

I had two bouts of UTI, Feb, and April.  Dr gave me Clindamycin as well, 10 days for both UTI's.  I'm allergic to any sulfa or 'cillin meds, so am limited as to what she can give me.  Clindamycin worked fine, no issues with my PMR/Pred.  I was still on 10 mg at the time.

Hope the Bactrim works out well for you!  I know how uncomfortable UTI can be.

Be well soon!

• Posted

Do try and take your  antibiotics as it could turn into something more  serious like effect your kidneys and you got to watch out for sepsis as pred lowers your immunity.  Your be more  prone to infections on pred. Antibiotics should not affect your pred apart from getting diarrhoea sometimes your pred will need to be raised if you get a nasty infetion . Try to take probiotics in between  antibiotic doses as this should help with any diarrhoea and your infection . I know taking  antibiotics can make you feel ill In them selfs but if you need them take them. I’ve had loads of  courses while taking steroids. Even dripped in me at hospital lol. So please don’t worry. Drink  plenty and avoid  alcohol . Hope you feel better soon 👍🏻 

• Posted

I agree with taking the probiotics.  My husband had a very hard to shift lung infection late winter and both antibiotics he was on (the first didn't work) warned of the possibility of C difficile.  I made sure he had yoghurt, kefir, etc., and when he was up to it some fermented veg, etc., several times a day.  We carried on for several weeks after the antibiotics were finished as the risk lasts for some time.  I did check whether it was worthwhile taking these things while on antibiotics and indeed it is.  The good bugs will get wiped out with each dose of antibiotic, but if taken a certain length of time after and before the antibiotics the good bugs do have a chance to repopulate the gut and this helps keep nasties like C diff in check.  Fortunately he only needed twice a day antibiotics so that helped.  It would have been more difficult with more frequent doses.  

• Posted

Thanks so much for your response and encouragement. Took Bactrim for UTI and had no flare. This forum is awesome 
    • Posted

Thanks so much for your reply and encouragement. Bactrim worked with no flare for my UTI. 
  • Posted

Has the UTI been confirmed with a urine culture and the most appropriate antibiotic identified?

Sometimes pred and/or PMR will cause bladder symptoms that appear to be a UTI but it isn't. Although it is also possible to have a low grade infection they can't identify.

• Posted

Yes, I was getting fequent UTI's.  It had no effect on my pred.  Before my recent fall (which I wrote about on Aug 9) I was getting 1 gm. weekly injections of Rocephen., since there was a suspect that there were bacteria in my bladder walls)  I was supposed to have a series of 12.  I did have 10, then the tragic fall and hospitalation.. After being in that position of hospitalization and rehab, I have had no UTIs since. hurray.  Hope you are OK now!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.