anyone take gabapentin and amitryptyline?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi been on gabapentin 56 days started 100 mg 3 x daily and eventually went upto 300 mg 3 x daily stayed here 12 days and i am currently back on 200 mg 3 x daily. Gp has prescribed amitriptyline as the gabapentin has not helped my sciatica. He says i can start amitriptyline now while on gabapentin and  may help with coming off of gabapentin. Anyone found amitriptyline  helped with the side effects of coming off of gabapentin? I am fine no side effects as yet but, wondered if i could come off of gabapentin quicker if start amitriptyline?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amanda, I was on Gabapentin for 14 mnths 200 mg at night. I actually though I was going blind while on it

One of the many side effect I had while on it was blurred vision. I have been off it about 4 mnths now. Withdrawal was rough. Didn't take anything else while withdrawing. I see Chiropractor for Sciatca

He helps as that is gone too. Am glad to be off Gaba. Will never go on that stuff again.

Marie

• Posted

Hi marie, my eyes too have become poor, i had an eye test last year and my plus 1 ready readers are fine. but, now my eye sight has deteriorated greatly xx how long did you take to wean off it marie? what symptoms did you have ? x
  • Posted

It is perfectly possible to come off gabapentin without going onto another drug. The dr just reduces the dose slowly. Hope that helps.
  • Posted

I am on both and that is because i was wrongly diagnosed of Trigeminal Neuralgia which is a nerve pain similar to sciatica. While Gabapentin is used for treating Nerve pain, Amitriptyline is used for treating High Blood Pressure. The truth that I have discovered in my case is that my nerve pain was triggered by High Blood Pressure so i should have been prescribed drugs for that alone. Gabapentin is a very terrible drugs. It is NOT a drug you can stop taking by yourself unless on doctors advice. It is a killer drug and should only be taking and managed on your doctors advice. I am not familiar with sciatica which i believe as another form of nerve pain but if your doctor advice that you should stop taking Gabapentin then you need a total medical advice on how to taper off it. I wish you all the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.