Anyone take Supplemental Testosterone? Did if help or hurt BPH?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've had low testosterone levels for several years and thinking of taking supplemental testosterone. Anyone here try it and did it make your bph better, worse, or have no effect?

Jim

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey there Jim.  I take Testim 50MG Gel once a day My prostate was a little inlarged before I started after 6 months my prostate was stopping the urine from coming out had to force myself Had a urolift done in april all is fine now.  Don't know if there was anything conected to the Testim.  Still on it and all is well  Ken    
    • Posted

Thanks Ken. I know it's only one case, but not encouraging. Right now I've gotten to the point after two years of self catherization where my bladder has been rehabilitated to the point where instead of having to self catherize 6 times a day I only have to do it maybe once a week. Don't know what would happen to that progress if my prostate enlarged. Ironically, if I hadn't made progress and still was self-cathing daily, it would be an easier choice because the size of the prostate then wouldn't be as important. Now, the decision will be more difficult.

Jim

• Posted

You have to decide, but if it were me, I would do a PAE,or Urolift, solve the problem, and stop the catheterization. It is painful, and a great opportunity to give yourself a UTI, or worse, a kidney infection.

Neal

• Posted

A friend in America was prescribed a form of testosterone by one of his doctors. When another doctor later did blood tests she said that it was so thick due to that he was about ready to have a stroke
  • Posted

In my early 60s became a couch potato and grumpy.  Girlfriend was an RN so got a physical and labs and my testosterone was near zero.  Went on monthly injections - now 300mg a month and I LOVE THEM....feel so much better emotionally - stable, settled.  If I don't get in for the monthly shot get a tad grumpy from withdrawal.  No clue how it effected my BPH but doc and insurance companies okay with it for ten years now.  why should women get the benefit of hormone replacement therapy and not us guys?  Love it!
  • Posted

It DOES make BPH symptoms worse, but it makes other things better. It's a balancing act. Find the dose that makes you feel well, and still allows you to pee.

Neal

• Posted

Could you elaborate a little on how it made your BPH symptons worse? Thanks.
    • Posted

If you Google Testosterone and BPH you find medica articles like this

"Nobody knows the basic cause of BPH. Research shows that testosterone, the male hormone, or dihydrotestosterone, a chemical produced when testosterone breaks down in a man's body, may cause the prostate to keep growing. Another theory is that changes in the ratio of testosterone and estrogen (female hormone) as men age cause the prostate to grow. Scientists are sure, however, that obesity greatly increases the risk of BPH

Some over-the-counter medications for colds or allergies can drastically worsen BPH".

Benign prostatic hyperplasia University of Maryland Medical Center

• Posted

I thought your first reply was based on personal experience with, but if I understand you correctly, your response was based on reading and research. At this point I'm more intrerested in personal experience but thanks anyway for the input.

Jim

• Posted

Thanks Derek, again looking for personal experience here. I have read about the relationship between testosterone and prostate enlargement and it does bother me. That said, there is also data to suggest that prostate size and bph aren't always correlated. Also, testosterone helps build and firm up muscles and my hope is that it might have that effect on my detrusor muscles that have been weakened over the years. 

Jim

• Posted

Testosterone can be a very dangerous drug are you intending to self-administer or get it prescribed by a doctor who knows your medical history?
    • Posted

Again, looking for personal experience per the title of this thread, and of course I would get it from a doctor who knows my history, and surprised you would think that anyone in this forum would do otherwise.
    • Posted

Yes, BPH is a set of conditions caused by an enlarged prostate, BUT you can also have an enlarged prostate with few or no symptons of BPH. So, no, "BPH (is) but an enlarged prostate. 

Jim

• Posted

Depends where the prostate is putting pressure.

I know someone who had a very small prostate that caused him to need to self catheterise until he had PVP.

• Posted

In my case, I have been on testosterone therapy for several years monitored by a good endocrinologist in Florida. Also, over the last 4-5 years, I have had increasing symptoms of BPH, e.g. getting up more frequently at night, sometimes up to 8 times, difficulty initiating urination in the morning, frequency and urgency all day; and spraying rather than uninating in a stream, so that even though I was well aimed at the center of the pot, I have to wipe urine off the sides of it. Then last spring when my endocrinologist measured my levels, they were high, so we agreed to cut back some on my testosterone therapy. The result has been that the symptoms are better and my PSA is lower (about 2/10 point). They are still too bad, and rather than wait for other problems that others on this site have had, like bladder problems, and UTIs, I am scheduled for a PAE with Dr Isaacson in early December.
    • Posted

Let me know how it goes I am 25 yrs I might get to but I don't know since I'm am scared to lose my sex life ...i have won the battle with prostatitis... I have two hydroceles both testicles and got epdidymitis took 5 different antibiotics and won the battle ....i used to be able to bust a load and keep a hard on not no more I feel that I have a blockage due to prostate or something else.. don't know if it low t or cause my testicle are slightly atrophy due to the hydroceles...idk but I am thinking of pae soon I'm just scared to lose my sex life..
    • Posted

Hey Jedd  I am sorry for your problem.  Glad the anitibiotics worked.  A PAE does not have anything to do with the prostate the water is around it.  Did your doctor say that they can use a needle to get the water out.  I just read something on a site that it can acure at any age and there are 2 procedures that they can do to get rid of the water.  Can I ask have you ever hurt yourself in the groin at all.  It can happen from that to.  Before you do anything read and get the information on it.  In the article I read it said that it does not hurt your sex life unless it is at the base of the penis where it is cutting off the blood flow. At 25 I would just try the needle to get rid of the water. Also they said it can go away on it's own.  Just a word of caution st 25 don't let them cut away at your prostate. If they do yuou will get reto orgasm.  Take care and be careful Please  Ken  I will read up somemore if I get a chance   
    • Posted

I'll let everyone know how it goes after the PAE in December.

It seems like you need to see a good urologist, or maybe a couple of them if that is possible where you live. Ask for a second opinion after you see the first one. Remember that they will NEVER recommend a PAE because urologists don't do them, interventional radiologists do, so urologists don't make any money on them. You also need to talk to an endocrinologist to get your testosterone level checked.

All of that said, YOU have to be in charge of your own care, gather this information, search the web, ask questions of those doctors, and ask questions here, and then make your own decisions. You need to find out, and completely understand what effects the hydroceles and epdidymitis are having, if any,and why, and exactly why, and how they can be treated and fixed. Don't believe anything from one source or one doctor. Don't get a PAE or anything else unless it is right for you - you know that YOU completely understand what it is and how it will help your specific conditions.

You are a young man with a lot of peeing and love making ahead of you IF you take the time, effort, and yes, pain, to get these things checked out, LEARN EXACTLY what is going on, and get it fixed. There are no short cuts,and no one can do this for you, but many will try if you let them.

Neal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.