Anyone take xanax for stress and anxiety? SCARED

Posted , 7 users are following.

Wondering if anyone else has been prescribed Xanax.  I have been taking it for stress, anxiety and panic for a few years now. Sometimes I get so scared that I am going to be addicted to it, and get anxious just about taking it. Somedays it is one of the only things that helps me feel "normal" whatever "normal" is smile

I am prescribed .5MG and can take twice a day.  sometimes I only take half at a time.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Kelly, does the Xanax help you feel better??? I think if you take it as prescribed and use as the doctors advise you will be fine. I was on the same dosage as you for many years and am NOT addicted to it and have not been taking it for quite a while now because I lost my insurance and cannot afford a doctor.  I did not go through any kind of horrible withdrawl symptoms and I quit cold turkey.  Xanax was a life saver for me as far as my anxiety goes and I wish I was still able to take them...but I won't even attempt to take anything I wasn't prescribed that I don't know where it came from.  I had a doctor once refuse to prescribe them for me, so they put me on clonazepam instead, because I MIGHT get addicted to them.  I told him what the heck do I care if I'm addicted if it works!!! I still stand by that on any medication, if it is working for you and you aren't having any adverse reaction or horrible side effects then what does it matter.  Right now I am unmedicated and my anxiety is at an all time high, I would take an addiction to Xanax and the ability to take them over this feeling anyday.  By the way, I do not drink or use any other kind of drugs to self medicate and never have. And if the Xanax isn't working for you, stop taking it, talk to your doctor about your concerns and ask to try something else. Tell them you don't want to take something that isn't helping you that has addictive qualities. Good Luck!!!

• Posted

Use Spirituality to overcome your anxiety, God created human he created us to become the best but the problem we are having is that our mind is playing trick on us. 
  • Posted

I took it once and it didnt do anything so ive been on klonopin since 2011. When im off for more then 5 days my body feels it. I can go without it mentally but physically i start to feel it.
  • Posted

Yes, I have been taking it for over 20 years and don’t know what I would do without it. It’s a “wonderful” drug if you use it as prescribed by your doctor. I take it as needed, but sometimes I don’t need to take it and can do just fine without taking it for weeks. Right now I haven’t had to take it for about a month, but will not hesitate to take it if needed.lol
    • Posted

Sometimes I need it daily, for weeks at a time.  I guess that is what makes me so nervous.
    • Posted

It makes me nervous if I take it for too long. I need breaks from it to work 

properly. 

• Posted

I am the same way as you, I was afraid to take it not because I was scared to get addicted but because of the side effects. I was scared that it would slow my breathing down too much or that it would make my heart stop.. but I started off taking half at a time and then slowly found myself being able to take the whole thing. I am only taking 0.25 which I’m only to take as needed and have not taken it for the past 2 weeks, I would say as long as you are taking it as your doctor recommended and are only taking it when you absolutely need it you will be okay. It’s an addictive drug, but when abused. So as long as you are following your dr reccomendations you should be fine. Especially if it is making your life better. 
  • Posted

I took it for many years, initially at a higher dose, but I gradually reduced it to a level that worked for me. Unfortunately, I had to stop taking it because the nanny state that Australia has become decided that no one should take it for an extended period because some people were becoming addicted to it, and abusing it. Knowing that I'd not be able to get it any more, I cut the dose to zero over the space of a month. It wasn't difficult, and I clearly wasn't addicted to it. No medical assistance was offered. My quality of life is now lower because my sleep is more often disrupted (as it used to be before I started taking it). Loss of sleep makes me feel ill, and I also have to deal with a degree of permanent agigation. I cope, but I wish I didn't have to. I have wondered how many people have commited suicide as a result of this drug becoming unavailable. I think there's a mindset in some parts that the drug is some kind of emotional crutch that people should learn to do with out. Well, they don't say that about diabetics who take insulin, or people with hypothyrodism who take thiroxin. My take on it is that some people have a biochemical imbalance that this drug corrects. If it's available to you, and it helps, then use it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.