Anyone taken anti depressants to get through peri

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi Ladies 

Just starting a very low dose of  citalopram (5mg) to help with anxiety. I know it is really low but want to take it slowly.

Any one else turned to Anti depressants to help with the anxiety in peri?

thanks 

Louise 

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I did. I'm on sertraline and it has helped with my health and emotional anxiety.

I'm also on hrt. Women who do this on their own should get a medal. I couldnt

• Posted

I won’t do HRT my world renowned breast surgeon did a biopsy on one of my breasts and I now have cells that are not pre-cancerous or cancer but put me at a higher risk and they feel it’s due to the hrt
    • Posted

Amen to that Angela these ladies need a medal to go through this with nothing 😂

• Posted

I have been prescribed 10mg Lexapro for anxiety - which has been my worst meno symptom. I haven’t started taking it yet. I’m trying to find alternative ways to deal. I’ve been keeping a symptom log and I seem to have 4-5 bad days each month. Usually occurring in the same week. Sort of like PMS I suppose! I don’t want to take meds daily for this. If I felt that intense anxiety daily - heart racing, irrational fear & doom thoughts - I would start the meds for sure! 

• Posted

I'm on sertraline, but it's only my 3rd day. This has worked in the past for me, so I hope it can do it again.

• Posted

Please keep in touch as I may be going on them,, been on prozac last 8 weeks , now trying escitalopram, but it's making me wee all the time, seeing psychiatrist September, I've been ill since March, big anxiety attack,

• Posted

I'm on sertraline 50 mg and have been for 5 months initially took 6 weeks to work but best thing I ever did x

• Posted

Yes I’ve tried  them twice and just made me feel weird vomiting shakey... a lot of women on here are on that brand so maybe it will work for you and yes! Best to start at the lowest dose . If it agrees with you then definitely try them ... life is too short ! 
  • Posted

Yes - going on 2 years now.  Not a perfect solution but I don't want to do hrt and cannot function with the anxiety, panic and insomnia. I recently lessened my dose because I was having side effects but everything seems fine again. I'll go back up if I need to and I am hoping they will help get me through until this nightmare is over! Lol. 

• Posted

Hi Louise, I take Lexapro 10mg. For peri anxiety. Never on an AD before this.  Now, On my 10th week.  It has helped with the crying, migraines, nervous, out of control worry, tingles and overall I am in a better mood...Still have dizziness which makes it scary for me to drive, some days better than others.  No more doom and gloom and health anxiety.  The side effects can be awful...but I felt bad anyways, so it is worth a try.  Good luck!  I hope your medication helps you! 😊🙏

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.