Anyone taking Lexapro and Klonopin for perimenopause?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello, so my doctor wants me to start Lexapro. Anyone taking this? Most reviews say the first 2 weeks are rough and then it starts to level off. I know everyone is different. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this on this forum? They gave me a few klonopin too. I may see if that helps to chill me out. I've never taken them before either. I've been taking cbd and it has been helping and I do feel improvements although I think it's going to take a lot longer with just taking the cbd to break this anxiety. I don't know if I should just wait several more weeks or months or try the Lexapro. Thanks all!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi, i have been taking Lexapro for over a year. For me if was a life saver. My anxiety and having panic attacks have pretty much resolved. I was waking up nightly with panic attacks, had several hearts tests, blood tests and all came back normal. i started working from home as i was too fearful of leaving the house at one point.

my family doctor described lexapro, and xanax when needed and with 5 to 6 weeks i was able to live again. i have my occasional set backs but nothing compared to a year ago.

best of luck to you.

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply. Can you tell me the dosage you started with? Did you have any bad side effects the first few weeks on it? I'm worried about that because my anxiety and panic attacks from peri which were severe at first have eased. I don't know if I can handle that again. I'm not through this yet but, I'm at least calm now. Just still having the brain fog which is causing the anxiety. I want it to break naturally but, I haven't even hit meno yet so, I don't know what will happen when that hits. Thanks again! xo

• Posted

Hi, i started with 10mg but i broke it in half for the first several months with very minimal side effects, i now take the whole pill of 10mg .

i know everyone reacts differently to antidepressants but starting with such a low dose worked out really well.

• Posted

Thanks so much for replying back llotenz55. They gave me 10 mg too. I was going to actually break it into a 1/4 to start off with. I really really just calmed down the dizziness and I really really don't want this to put me back in that state. I heard some people had that side effect. Everyone is different though. Maybe I will try that for a few days. Up to 5 then 10. I heard on line it's strong. I'm going to maybe start it tonight. Really, I'm not functioning now well and what if it doesn't work I lose a month. If it does work. I will be on my way. When I think of it that way the decision should be quite easy to make. I've been trying to hold off though. Hoping it breaks on it's own. I already tried 2 others and they made terribly sick. I know it's trial and error though. It may work. What a mess this is to figure out when it's your life. xo

• Posted

nothifor

hi I have been on lexapro for over 10 years. it worked for me instantly when I first took it. though meds hit me immediately. I had tried so much anxiety meds thru the years and never got results like I did on lexapro. but everyone is different. I do and did still have anxiety but it helped me when I needed it and I still take it. Good luck hun I hope it works good for you , it did help me.

• Posted

Thanks Debra. It gives me hope to hear that. I'm so happy it worked for you instantly. That's what we all want. I'm in peri but, haven't even started meno yet so, I'm thinking if I start now it may help me if I have any more problems when that hits. I really wanted this to break on it's own but, it's over a year now I'm struggling due to the peri anxiety and I just want my life back like everyone else. Again, thanks so much for responding. So, many caring ladies on this site! xo

• Posted

nothifor

yes mame of course

we all have to work together and everyone on here is a team .

ty dear

• Posted

I was on both for many tears, and at some point my Lexapro was in the dosage of maximum 40 mg. I am off of both. Lexapro is safe drug and it helps, but Klonopin is absolutely horrible, and very very unsafe. One doctor told me that there are studies investigating the link between clonozepam (Klonopin) and Alzheimer's disease. If I were you I would definitely refuse Klonopin. Best of luck to you

• Posted

Many YEARS *, of course, I apologize for the typo

• Posted

Thanks lana for the Klonopin info. I did not know that but, figured it wasn't safe to take all the time when I was just provided 5 tablets only for severe times in panic or anxiety. xo

• Edited

Thank you ladies for all your caring information and thoughts. I'm diving in and starting the Lexapro tonight. 5 mg's for a week and then I will up it to the 10. I'm really tired of suffering through this and at this point have nothing to lose. Fingers crossed.....Hope it works for me like it has for you. Big BIG hugs to you all. I needed the push!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.