Anyone taking Methamizole how does it make u feel

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was diagnosed Graves' disease a couple of weeks ago by primary doctor. I seen an ENT today putting me on methimazole 10 mg. I'm hoping not to gain anymore weight already overweight . right

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Typically, you lose weight with hyperthyroidism because your body is in overdrive constantly. But even if you are concerned about weight, be very cautious with diet and exercise. Your heart rate may already be too fast to exercise and you need to make sure you eat enough to supplement your metabolism going too fast. Do you mean you're seeing an endocrinologist? Good luck to you!

• Posted

Yes I went to Endo today she encouraged exercising I inquired about taking a weight loss supplement she said she didn't think that was a good idea at this time I just don't want to gain anymore. I will be cautious with exercise that's how I ended up going to doctor in first place was working out one day and machine I was on my heart rate was 192 it scared so that's how we got on this trail.

• Posted

Also curious to know what anyone has done as far as hair loss mine has been shedding really bad.
    • Posted

I lost a lot of hair too. Once your meds kick in it comes back pretty quickly.
  • Posted

Hi Tina, What are your thyroid blood test numbers? If not too out of range, 10 mg MMI may add weight on you fast (10 mg MMI could drop your numbers fast). My experience was taking 5 mg made my numbers drop and quickly my tummy bloat up! But I was already under-weight b4 GD diagnosed. Take care.
    • Posted

Hi thanks for info I hate to start 10 mg and it be to much should I ask for less how would I know if it's the right dose?

• Posted

Tina ... diferrent Endocrinologists have  diferrent methods of dealing with Graves    .. some start antithyroid meds high and taper downwards     , some start low and work up 

Mine started me at 20mg  per day and after a few weeks or so reduced it to 10mg per day.... then slowly down to 5 mg per day..    that's when they must keep an eye on you very closely so that you don't slip into becomming HYPOthyroid ..  the aim is to stop you on time.... and then keep you there.

Thats when YOU really start to be in control of YOUR GRAVES  ... and that's when I started to self medicate with  vitamins ,  minerals and Nutrients 

in order to Stay Euthyroid..   and to replenish my Immune System with all that had been robbed from my body during my Graves' disease attack.

Its Vital that you do this ... as if you don't , then your body never totallly recovers and it would be easy for it , because you are still deficient in many many vital vitamins and minerals , start to go back to a Graves' disease situation again.

Mx🌹

• Posted

Hi Tina ...not all Graves patients lose weight .. many stay exactly the same and many put on  weight ..   

I lost all my body hair and was losing hair on my head a lot too ... once onyour anti thyroid meds ... although you don't believe it now probably , that will all come back to normal too after meds.

if you'd like help with what you should do , you could post again with your latest blood results , including the numbers in brackets which are your lab ranges of where you're  supposed to be on the scale.

the blood results are yours and you are entitled to a printed copy if them,,, you should get that every time you have bloods taken for your homefile and your journey to better health.

good luck at Endocrinologist..

luv mx🌹

• Posted

Good morning Tina.

I lost a lot of weight (20lbs) with graves prior to going on meds, and once I started taking meds I steadily gained back The 20lbs but Wasn’t necessarily bc I was getting heavier or fat from the medication but just that my metabolism regulated again. 

Initially I lost a lot of body hair and my skin was nice and smooth so never complained however about 5 months after diagnosis I started shedding hair on my head too. I was told I had telogen effluvium (temp hair loss) due to significant weight loss, imbalanced thyroid level and just generally loss of vitamins due to graves . Anyway, about 6-9 months later my hair went back to pretty much normal. 

• Posted

Hi Tina

I was put on 10 mg of Methamizole in January and at the same time went on Nutrisystem. I've actually lost 32 lbs since then without starving. Just eating right. So in my experience it didn't make me gain or lose. I changed my eating habits. Hope you feel better xo 

• Posted

I have been taking Methimazole for 3 years now and have no problems. The only issue was that dosage was low. Even then I did not notice any problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.