anyone thats had Gastritis and with experience with omeprazole thats could give me some advice?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Good Evening everyone,

for years i was suffering from stomach issues, docs told me it was IBS, symptoms got worse and i started experiencing stomach pains especially in the mornings, and vomiting after eating. october 2018 i had an endoscopy and i had chronic gastritis caused by h.pylori, eradication therapy went ahead and also omeprazole, may 2019 i get urea breath test and it confirmed the helicobacter was gone, my doctor told me i can't be on omeprazole long term so i came off them and i felt back to normal for a month and then suddenly the stomach pains came back and the vomiting etc... my GP put me back on omeprazole and only amount that works and takes the pains away is 40mg per day.

My questions is if the helicobacter was causing the gastritis and is now gone how am i still experiencing all the symptoms, is there anything i can do to help myself? and how long can you be on PPI's for, im guessing they do long term damage if my doctor wants to keep taking me off them?

thank you very much

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

ive had a very similar experience. M h pylori retest was negative but i have had pain for weeks since treatment/stopping PPI's. (Ive read there can be significant withdrawal symptoms with PPIS). My doctor doesnt seem to know much about it and told me i just shouldnt have pain anymore so i should have an endoscopy soon if no improvement. She also said a probiotic wont do anything which i feel must be wrong. I feel like my stomach has been through a lot and it just needs me to go easy, try probiotics, and try to manage pain with tums or pepto maybe. This whole thing has also caused me so much stress feeling sick for so long and the idea of an endoscopy and i know stress alone can affect your stomach greatly. I hope to hear from other fellow members about similar experiences! Good luck!

• Posted

i feel you linzetta, can be very depressing... i'm not sure if you have ever had an endoscopy but i was the same with worry about having one but its really not that bad, you can choose to be asleep or just a numbing spray! only lasts around 10 minutes at most it is uncomfortable but nothing else. also maybe your doctor means a probiotic won't do anything until the endoscopy because she is not sure what is causing the gastritis as it is the cause of gastritis that will need treated in order for the gastritis to get better.

but i hope other people share their experiences with you as just talking to someone about the problems makes you feel much better about the situation.

wish you the best of luck.

• Posted

thank you! are you in the US? They arent very supportive of unsedated endoscopies and im worried if i didnt feel supported i wouldnt be able to tolerate it without sedation. Did you do it with throat numbing or sedation? I have severe panic disorder and OCD so they cancelled my recently scheduled one ive been such a mess.

• Posted

I'm in the united kingdom, the biggest fear is leading up to an endoscopy and its just the mind playing havoc with thoughts which also causes upset to an already damaged immune system, i had throat numbing when i had mine and the reason behind that is cause i suffer from anxiety and depression, i made myself a bag of nerves the weeks and days leading up to the endoscopy and i wanted to have a few beers afterwards to calm myself and throat numbing is the only option where you are basically in and out without any restrictions. having anxiety and depression i was also scared to get sedated.

I don't know what its like in the u.s but here in the u.k the medical staff couldn't be any nicer in reassuring you, i told them i was scared and the male nurse had a seat with me and spoke to me for 10 mins and explained its over in 10 mins it does feel uncomfortable, he also has had it done and suggested the numbing spray as then i can leave the hospital straight away, go home and have a few beers and relax.

i would say it's defo worth getting if you have never had one and then doctors can give you the right medication and you can start your own road to recovery which is a long road depending on what they find and how severe for example the gastritis is, but as i say the anxiety with thoughts of having it done plays havoc physically and mentally and sometimes it just needs someone to talk to for those thoughts to ease.

you are welcome to message me anytime if you need someone to talk to.

• Posted

I am UK based and had mild gastritis 5 years ago and a course of Lanzoprazole was effective in clearing it. I also had the HBP virus and a course cleared that too. Then last December I had a more severe attack and was put on a phased course of Omeprazole. I followed the instructions but it did not clear completely, then came back with a vengeance. A different doctor put me on 40mg Omeprazole for 6 weeks then phased it down to 20mg for 2 weeks, 10mg for 2 weeks then 10mg every other day for 2 weeks. In other works 3 months, but like other doctors did not want me to stay on it. I was told I could take a 10mg or 20mg tablet if I felt a return of the symptoms, and to eat bland food and drink plenty of water. It has taken 6 months but I am pain free. I get the occasional niggle if I eat acidic or spicy food. I may feel the need of a tablet then, but have now gone a week without. But it has taken time and patience and at times it felt like I would never be pain free.

• Posted

thank you very much for the detailed description of your experiences.

i think i will try it as you did, my doctor never gave me any time frames but just gave me the prescription when i told him my symptoms have came back with a vengeance.

what types of bland food were u eating if you dont mind me asking.... i hate bland food, always need a sauce.

• Posted

I had things like mashed potato, steamed fish, grilled chicken, vegetable puree (carrot, swede, potato, parsnip), boiled rice, blended home made soup of veggies and stock with herbs but not spices, meal replacement drinks, plain white sauce, white bread without crusts, porridge (basically mainly white pap which slipped down easily). I ate to live, and avoided heavily flavoured foods like curries, spicy chutneys, tomato or brown sauce, sweet/sour sauce, vinegar, acidic fruit like raspberries, grapefruit. Once the symptoms subsided I would have foods with more flavour, but in small quantities and thinned down at first.

My GP only prescribed 20mg tablets, but you can buy 10mg tablets over the counter from the most well known UK high street pharmacy.

• Posted

thank you for this, its exactly what i needed, was struggling for things to eat... i did buy a weight gainer as i lost 2 stone in the matter of months, what would be a plain white sauce? i live in a small seaside town and our supermarket ain't very big they sell white sauce but has added ingredients for example white wine and parsley white sauce

• Posted

Hi

I make a plain white sauce by mixing a heaped teaspoon cornflour with a bit of milk in a jug. I bring the rest of the milk (about half a pint) to the boil, then slowly add the hot milk to the cornflour, stirring all the time. Then I pour the mixture back into the pan, return to the heat and keep stirring until it thickens.

My mum uses to do something similar, mixing the cornflour in melted butter then adding the milk (a butter sauce). It's basically like making Birds custard. You can flavour it with salt, pepper, herbs, a bit of grated cheese (I use reduced fat). It's very plain, mainly used for moistening food, and you can pour it over your chicken, serve it with boiled rice and call it chicken supreme!

I know Colmans do a packet you make up yourself, as do Schwarz and supermarket only brands. At Christmas I add sugar and brandy and pour it over Christmas pudding, but that's probably not a good idea if your tummy is not too good!

• Posted

hi friend,i have only just jouned but,i have among other thi gs gastritis. dr explained i have gastrotis which is inflammation of the lining of your stomach..i imagined it to be red raw anyway..i have had this for years alo ng with hiatus hernia and other issues which i will leave alobe..i am on ESOMEPRAZOLE it helps bit i have been on them for years now?? If its still there then you need meds,ask for esomeprazole. do you eat spicy food,that could affect your tummy too...im not an expert but,i think you should asj to try the esomeprazole but i would go see your dr and ask him why your still in pain etc? write your questions down so you dont forgrt..please ket me know how you get lon? do it now hefore it becomes worse...good luck

• Posted

i was having similar pain. the only medicine that has worked for me is ranitidine 300mg. 150mg in the morning and 150mg in the evening. 45 minutes before a meal. i did experience rebound gastritis when i stopped taking it suddenly so i went back on and weaned off it and now i hardly ever get it unless i eat something very irritating.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.