Anyone tried adderall or Ritalin or something similar?i hve

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have read some people have tried adderall etc to help ? It keeps u awake and gives u an energy boost?

Has anyone tried? Is it worth asking my doctor?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I just recently got off of adderall a couple months ago. For me it was not good. Yes it gave me short lived energy that got me through work. I had to try something for my CFS and that was the first thing I tried.

I hated it. Vitamin c made it ineffective for me. And everything I ate seemed to effect its efficiency. It just got to the point where I had to time my doses and only eat non acidic foods to get the best effect out of it. If I didn't eat the right foods they wouldn't work. But once I got the diet right I was able to drop way down in my dosage. I lost a lot of weight andi pretty much lost my memory for the 3 months I was on it.

I just felt like I was someone else. I Dreaded taking it everyday. I also took it 3 times a day. It did get rid of my aches and pains and brain fog which was a plus.

I told my Dr I wanted to try nuvigil. I have been taking 250mg for over a few month now and it has saved my life. For me it is a miracle.

What works for one person might not work for another. I am very sensitive to meds. Even with this nuvigil I was sooooooo sick.

Oh and the CRASH. I was so tired when I got home. Loud noises irritated me.

• Posted

Sorry messes up there somewhere in my typing. Just make sure to start low in dosage and work your way up.

Best wishes

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.. I'm gonna ask the doctor about taking something well trying so maybe I will mention nuvigil...

I'm glad u found something that helps xxxxx

• Posted

Yes! It could help you. Adderall makes me jump out of my skin but it helps my duaghter who has a much more mild case of CFS than I do. I would ask your doctor about it. KPD
  • Posted

Hi Stphanie/Rach 

your comments are very inereesting.  i've read a number of reports on ''nuvigil'' in the treatement of ME/CFS. what i read was from the US and also, one contributer on here,commented positive on it as she was commenced on ''nuvigil'' and considered it a miracle. in fact none of the reports I read were negative about it, One person who had very severe ME/CFS it didn't seem to do much for if anything. as far as I remember a Doctor in the US did a study/audit or whatever one may call it on the use of ''nuvigil'' in people with mild to moderate ME/CFS with good results. i can't remember the name of the study/Doc. i didn't file it. as far as i can remember, the Doc. just did an audit on his own patients with ME/CFS. hope that helps.

C.

• Posted

I take 50 mg (5 10 mg tabs) of Adderall daily and it has saved my life. My doctor in the U.S. said Nuvigil was not FDA approved for fatigue so he put me on Adderall instead.

But it isn't perfect and can create serious anxiety and impair sleep. It varies a lot for me and is based on how well my body feels when I take it. Am I the usual tired, kind of dopey feeling or am I super exhausted due to lack of sleep, overexertion, high stress or have a fever/swollen glands ie. If so, then I am best to sleep/rest, relax for 3 or 4 hours first before taking it if I can.  Otherwise it can create high anxiety and make you feel like nervous wreck but also really exhausted at the same time. Wired and tired and it feels miserably uncomfortable.

It took me 3 or so years to figure out how to take it so it benefitted me the most.

Even though I try to keep a regular schedule, sometimes I just don't feel well in the a.m./afternoon, but begin to feel better toward evening so I take a dose then.  I might be up real late doing things but that might be the only I can feel well and my Adderall is effective. Otherwise I would never accomplish anything,

It gives me the ability to have the energy to get out of bed and have some fairly happy days. That's not to say I feel great everyday, but sometimes just the strength to get out of bed and have a little motivation is all the start you need. There are also bad periods and so-so periods when Adderall isn't very effective. Before I had ZERO days like that and often had little strength to do basic self cares. The thought of going back to being helpless again is absolutely terrifying. For that reason, I think Adderall is a miracle drug for me.

I also have days when I feel great and have a lot of energy and a clear head and I feel almost normal again. It does ease pain for me too, probably because I am able to move around and be more active. It also seems to settle down or make my mind more content when I have to just lie in bed and rest.

Our bodies are still sick and Adderall can't cure that. I hope this makes sense and can be of help to you. The most horrible, frightening part of CFS for me is having absolutely no energy at all,  my mind wants to do things but my body can;t move. I am so grateful I found a doctor that believed me and was willing to allow me to have a higher than normal dose when I need it.

• Posted

Excellent explanation, Ann! I agree with everything you just said. Thanks for sharing your experience! KPD
    • Posted

Hi Ann & KPD.

It's good to know that the Adderal is helping you both. there was another person on here from the US who was put on Nuvigil  and it too turned her life around too. like you say it doesn't ''cure'' the ME/CFS but it makes living with it a lot more manageable. from what you say Ann, it seems that the Adderall doesn't work all the time i.e. you need some energy for it to work and doesn't work so well earlier in the day, is that correct?

you are very lucky in the US to have forward thinking Docs. in the UK our Docs. tend to be more conservative.  hope you both got seeing the eclipse yesterday. it looked wonderful on TV.

C

C

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.