Anyone tried Botox for Migraine?

Posted , 6 users are following.

just wondered any stories of success???

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

After 40 years of severe migraines im three weeks away from having botox..tried codeine every triptan ..topiramate..gabapentin..amitryptyline etc..you need to be opiate free to have botox DO NOT STOP opiates without gp decreasing dose otr youll suffer opiate withdrawal headache worse rhan any migraine ill post one had botox to let you know 31 needles in neck and head every 12t-14t weeks ..angie
  • Posted

I have been doing the Botox in the head for almost 3 yrs every 3 months.  I would say the upside is that my migraines now do not require an Emergency Room visit and they are milder.  But they are, unfortunately, not gone.  So I woould say its worth it to do. Hopefully you will have some luck with it.  Good luck
  • Posted

I took a series of Botox 3 times. I didnt see much improvement. I had very annoying side effects. Difficulty swallowing, cold chill down my back and stiff nick. My neurologist still can't believe I had those side effects. He said I am the only one of his patients on Botox that had side effects! Maybe it will work for you. Also, I couldnt raise my eyebrows!
  • Posted

Hi Josie, 

Have you been offered Botox for your condition? From my experience it has made a very marked improvement in pain levels.I refused it at first because of my real fear of injections but the pain got so bad I realised it was worth a few minutes discomfort.

It does feel uncomfortable but if you chat and focus upon other things it really helps reduce your fears and muscle tension which can make it more uncomfortable.Now because it has helped my pain levels so much I'm happy to put up with ten minutes pain for several months of lesser strength of pain. To have less pain means a great relief but it does not help the hemeplegia and sometimes other drugs have to be used to try to reduce

the hemeplegia paralysis effects , slurred speech, loss of balance, unable to walk or think properly and terrible memory.

One side effect you can develop is a difficulty at first in swallowing and sometimes a stiff neck or shoulders but this is bearable by changing the foods you eat and drinking liquid fruit juice and water .bE careful with caffeine and no alcohol avoid smoking .It is worth the effort.Personally

i would recommend trying Botox for at least two or three times.

Make sure your not driving after treatment and you have someone with you,

try to avoid very long journeys.At one time I definitely refused it now I

value it's medicinal benefits. I'm not cured but pain levels have been reduced and that improves my relation with others, iTs far less painful that bad period or IBS pain  and it takes less than 15 minutes.You will feel off it and abit shook up because of nerves but your doctor can give you something to take on the morning or night before to help you relax and relieve tension. Be prepared to feel off it for a day or two afterwards but you will regret it if you say no without giving it a try.Good Luck.

Yvonne

• Posted

Yes, and Angela's and others' notes below are useful. I did not have the troubling side effects mentioned by some at all (I DID get an in-office immediate migraine, which my neurologist said happens...). It WAS fast, and a bit of a shock (first time) but the 'procedure' is nothing at all in and of itself (save for the nasty rapid onset migraine!) Teeny injections, barely felt. I did feel off for the day or two and have a stiff neck etc... Now, did it help? A qualified somewhat . I have the 2nd treatment set for June. Supposedly, often 2-3 are needed to see benefit said my neuro. Mild improvement, nothing earth-shattering but Noticed: a bit more treatable/responsive to meds at times (10-15% maybe). I WAS uncharacteristically hesitant going into this, especially when I heard 35 needles. I'm not AT ALL needle phobic (I use the auto inject sumatriptans, give blood monthly, and did In Vitro cycles w daily injections!) but I WAS very nervous going in. Not sure why. Doc gave me nothing. And I was worried for nothing. It's worth trying, folks. The worst is the thought, at least it was for me. I'm hoping for the cumulative affect from #2 and #3. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thanks now i have an idea what to expect im hoping its a miracle cure or its gonna be codeine for me again and all the hassle of rebound headaches opiate use etc but for an hour pain free a day sometimes we have to do what we have to do..good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.