Anyone tried cutting Omeprazole tablet in half to lower the dose - preparing to try to taper off PPI

Posted , 7 users are following.

So I’m going to soon try coming off my PPI.  I take Omeprazole 20mg tablets 1 tablet per day. Instead of trying to taper off by taking it every other day, I may first need to reduce the dose to 10mg every day for a bit.  I know the directions say not to cut or crush the tablets......but curious to know if anyone has tried cutting them to lessen the dose and if so, did it work?  I’ll add that I’m int U.S.  20mg tabs are the lowest dose available over the counter.  Thanks!

0 likes, 10 replies

Report / Delete

10 Replies

• Posted

I tried a number of times. I'm currently taking 1 20mg tablet every 2-3 days and doing ok, ive had to massively change my diet and im currently taking 2 x 150mg ranitidine a day to help

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I just cut them in half and they still worked but i would def get yourself some ranitidine to assist as the rebound can be a nightmare
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks. I’m definitely going to take ranitidine as I try to taper off the PPI. I’ve stopped drinking coffee and am trying to avoid other triggers as well.  Will start the slow taper off Omeprazole soon.  Have another doctor appointment first so I can have a good plan.  
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

It was hell the first few years with the stomach issues. I was first taking them a few years ago. I was told don't stay on too long because. it depletes minerals in our bones. I have had to change my diet and eat only organic. What is most helpful is lime water. I squeeze half a lime or whole lime in water when i am having reflux or stomach problems. Also, use a bit of baking soda with water when I need a bit more help.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up