Anyone tried ketamine iv for depression?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi I have suffered depression for years drugs work then stop. I have tried so many I couldn't name them. I for one am very excited regarding ketamine treatment. Has anyone had any experience? Your help is much appreciated. Jo x

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I thought this was a painkiller or something to make you high
    • Posted

Hi Lynne research has showed very low doses have had fantastic results in treating depression and I want to get in in it ..too many years living with the black dig
  • Posted

same as Lynne I thought strong pain relief  I would be cautious about this.
    • Posted

Can I ask what country you are from? I'm in Australia. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
  • Posted

It seems people aren't willing to try new things. What do they say insanity is doing the same thing hoping for a different outcome.
  • Posted

My Psychiatrist wants me to do ketamine treatment. I used to be a Police officer and I also was concerned about this drug. I only know the drug as a street drug Special K used here a lot as a date rape drug in the USA. Ketamine is a very safe drug if used in a medical environment. This is the anesthetic they use on children and geriatric patients.. that is how safe it is.

I have talked further with my psych about it and the only thing I can tell you after researching a lot about it is that I believe that you really need to have psychotherapy before and after you do a ketamine treatment. It is the only way the ketamine will actually have a positive lasting effect. There as some places in the US that are “ketamine clinics” and its scary they just prescribe it and then have you go home and take it… you can go on bad ‘trips’ while under the influence of ketamine and because of this it would not be a good idea to have a treatment while not under the supervision of a doctor.

Those are my two scents. I know this treatment is really more so for treatment resistant patients.

I hope this helps. I have not done it yet .. and when I get to that point I believe I will be taking an oral tablet and not doing the intravenous

• Posted

Thanks so much Tan, Its definitely notsomething I would enter into lightly but only as a last resort and through a very well researched facility.

Jo

• Posted

Hi Jo!

Are you still on these pages??

I am from Australia and am wanting to discuss ketamine smile

I have been researching like crazy!!

T xx

• Posted

I just registered in order to chime in here.

My daughter (25) began IV ketamine treatments in April in NYC. She had 6 treatments in 6 days, then boosters in June and August. She says that ketamine saved her life. It seems that she will need boosters every 5 to 7 weeks, for now at least.  Her mood is stable and good, and no suicidal ideation. Also--bonus--her anxiety is gone. She had been on clonazepam for anxiety for the last 4 years.

She had been hospitalized in January for the depression and received ECT, which at first appeared to be very helpful and then turned out a week later to not be helpful.

There is a ketamine advocacy forum where you can read more. 

• Posted

Hi,

I'm on the fence and desperately trying to find information about anyone who has had this experience.The cost is $550 per treatment where I live. I can't afford dozens of treatments! Anyone else with this problem or feedback on how the treatments went?

Thanks very much

"Trying to get my life back"

• Posted

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your forum comments 

Have you had any progress with using Ketamine? I'm waiting acceptance for a University trial next year but want to try Ketamine now based on reports I have read. It seems I V (infusion) is strongly recommended on various sites. 

Like you I have suffered depression for 25 years drugs don't seem to have any effect. I have tried so many I couldn't name them. Ketamine is cheap to buy but the quality and ROA is concerning . Has anyone had any experience? Your help is much appreciated. Desperate for relief. 

Colin Bris Aust. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.