Anyone used a Beta Blocker to help with anxiety caused by Benzo withdrawal?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I read i a couple of places this can help.  My anxiety symptoms are physical and mental.  I am doing meditations etc but about 4 days after a reduction in dose I am wigging out.  No meditation is gonna help that.  Running helps but I cant run all day (though thats what my body is telling me to do - run as far away as possible as fast as possible).  Has anyone tried Beta Blockers and do GP's get it?  

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hey Richard, I was given some beta blockers to help with benzo withdrawals. To be honest they did help a bit with the physical symptoms but after a few days of taking them I didn't feel like I had much clarity in my head, and that was something I really desperately was trying to get back too! I know exactly how hard it is I spent 5 days or so walking constantly, just talking to myself in my head and feeling like i was losing my mind! I found that looking back time was the only healer, after a week or so I started to feel better, your body just needs to adjust and I think putting other drugs in the mix can actually stunt it. I found on an evening having a few beers helped quite a bit, I was just thinking whatever it takes to get through it. If you're 4 days in thats good, just keep doing what you're doing it gets better. Run, try and speak to people as much as possible, eat AS MUCH as you can (i know that can be hard my appetite disappeared) drink water all the time and try to sleep whenever your body allows it. You should be feeling loads better in a few days. Thats my opinion from personal experience and coming out the other side!

• Posted

Hi Richard My withdrawls were physical and abeta blocker helped slow my racing heart. They dropped my heart rate alot and my blood pressure a little so you have to monitor both. Most doctors dont get it. By the grace of God, family support, and time I got through it! Hang in there !

I feel so much bette now and have my life back.

Lynne

• Posted

Hi Lynne

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.  

Good to hear you feel better now.  I am sure I will feel better in the end.  Presumably you had some anxiety before, which is why you went on Benzo's in the first place, but its better to manage the anxiety and be yourself? Is that about right?  

I went on these things when I was having chemothereapy because I was anxious and couldnt sleep.  I wish I hadnt, but looking back  I was always anxious before, I just couldnt see it so clearly as I can now.   I think I confused it with depression.  I am clear of cancer but like many others I am now anxious because I had it.  Nevertheless I want off these things and will carry on as you say.  

In fairness to GP's and others if you hadnt experience it first hand, you wouldnt believe how bad it could be.  Mine will at least listen to me and doesnt think he knows all there is to know. 

• Posted

Hi lc can i ask what u were taking and how u withdrew from it
    • Posted

I had been on 1 mg ativan for 2 1/2 years. I was going through tolerance withdrawls while taking it.

I followed the ashton manual and listened to my body. Since i was sick on it i wanted off as quickly as possible.

It took about 12 weeks to get off. I finished using water titration.

Havent taken it in 19 months.

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for your message

I had not heard of water titration but have now googled it and the idea makes sense.  I guess you found it smoother, or was it just that you couldnt cut Lorazepam up that small.  

I was on lorazepam too, and did the switch to Diazepam at about .75mg when it was getting hard. Now I am at 3mg diazepam (.3mg lorazepam) a 0.5mg reduction is making me super anxious and agressive.  What fraction or % could you handle as a reduction in the later stages and at what dose did you go cold turkey? In other words should I start going down by say ,25mg now.  I dont want it to go on forever but its getting harder not easier

Thanks

• Posted

They tried to get me off xanax, but they gave me a weak anxiety pill called adivan. If u dnt want to b on anything for anxiey i would have ur pshyic wean u off with the adivan but a .5 millie isnt enough. Your anxiety im srry 2 say wont go away. I was in detox for many reasons mostly they screwed but my brain meds, but i learned some yoga types of breathing it helps a lot plus passing out does 2...GOOD LUCK hope this was helpful.

• Posted

Hi Richard,

Years ago i was on Sinequan (doxepin) for panic attacks..10 mg/day for about 3 years. The side effects were not good...weight gain, hypotension, depression and suicidal thoughts etc.

Then I tapered off them too quickly and was hysterical for a month.

I ended up on lorazepam for 17 years and it worked fine for me. I did a very slow taper a few months ago, at my own pace, with almost no withdrawal symptoms.

I feel about the same as i did when i was on them.

Maybe you need to take it more slowly?

Beat wishes.

Shul

• Posted

Hi

Feels like I hve been tapering forever.  You a right though, take it slow.  Thanks for your good wishes

• Posted

Hey Richard, i was detoxed from my xanax, when i got out of detox they gave me .5 mgs of adivan i would have rather gotten a piece of gum. It did nothing 4 me at all. They put me back on xanax but instead of my script of 4 times a day of 1mg im only taking it 3 times a day. My anxiety is gone and them horrible panic attacks as well. They had originally had me on 6mgs a day. Xanax is the devil but unfortunately for me its the only thing that helped me, they tried any and every kinda of benzos to try n help, but in the hospital for my med fix i was on a mood stabilizer they wouldnt tell me what it was. When i got out that pshyic dr gave me another meds i went crazy on so i had to fire him but will b seeing my old dr nxt week and she already knows im on new meds and they are working really good. I dnt think this is what ur asking just letting u know it is probably ur body it just wants to get out of ur own skin sorta speak. GOOD LUCK & talk to the right dr about eats going on a primary dr isnt the right one find urself a psychiatrist that u can talk 2...

• Posted

Thanks to all responders.  Nothing is perfect.  I have tried propranolol these last 2 days.  They havent helped with anxiety as such, only the physical symptoms. How much is hard to say, because I dont know how bad it would have been without them.  Certainly even though I am down to 3mg Diazepan, a half gramme reduction is still enough to really make me anxious after 3 or 4 days for about a week.  I will just keep on going a little at a time.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.