ANYONE USING EKLIRA GENUAIR (ALACIDINIUM BROMIDE)?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am new to this Forum.

I was diagnosed with COPD six years ago - I stopped smoking on the day I found out, having smoked continuously for 40 years. No patches, no substitutes, no gum and no electronic devices - I did it "Cold Turkey" and it was without doubt one of the hardest things I`ve ever done in my life.

Anyway, I have a dedicated COPD nurse at my local practice who reviews and tests me every 6 months, and over the years I`ve taken many different types of treatment, the last two being Seretide 500 and Tiotropium.

However, my nurse has now had me prescribed EKLIRA GENUAIR (ALACIDINIUM BROMIDE) which I gather is fairly new on the drug scene for COPD treatment. My biggest problem has always been ascending stairs (I`ve never suffered from coughing or phlegm problems etc) where I would quickly get severely out of breath.

I have to say though, that since taking the new drug there has been a remarkable improvement, and in the three weeks since starting inhaling twice daily I have managed to scale various heights of stairs without getting out of breath at all. You do get a really big dose of powder at each inhalation, and it tastes really vile - so if you get to take this drug, have a drink handy to take the taste away.

I would be very interested to hear from any other COPD sufferers who have been prescribed EG (AB) and whether they have felt as much benefit as I personally have?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I also have COPD and asthma.  I'm normally controlled well, so much so that I run 5k three times a week, but have had a flare up since a head cold in August.  I'm currently certified unfit to work, as I'm coughing with a minimum of exertion and conversation.  Today my GP gave me this new inhaler to replace Symbicort which he told me is more geared towards my asthma than my bronchiectasis.  I'd be interested in how you're gettin on with this inhaler now? Many thanks. 
  • Posted

I have been useing Eklira for the last six months and i find it helps but i am haveing trouble with the workings of the unit and haveing to be prescribed with a new unit i wondered if anyone else has problems with the device.
    • Posted

I have no difficulty using the device, I find it very simple.  Sometimes I have to inhale a lot to get it to dispense, other times it dispenses easily.  One thing I recall my GP insisting is that it must be held straight, no tilting upwards or downwards.  This might explain why I've had difficulties and perhaps might explain the problems you are having too?  I am very aware of holding it straight out in front of me.  It really sorted me out within days back in October.  I have had no further flare ups since starting to use this inhaler.
  • Posted

Hello sixeighty in reply to your email of last year,  I was presribed eklira 4 weeks ago.  It is effective in dispensing the medicine better than the brown inhaler I currently use.  However a note of caution

I am employed as and agency HGV Driver and my job involves alot of early starts and you need to be alert at all times.

When I read the leaflet accompanying the drug i noted the side effects and pointed out to my practice nurse that the medicine may effect my driving ability she dismissed this as only being a minor side effect.

I finished work yesterday at 8:30 in the evening i came home after having a meal I got ready for bed and took my inhaler dosage of Eklira and the brown inhaler.  I got up at 3:45 in the morning showered and got changed but I took another dosage of inhaler which was a mistake!

I drove for about 4 miles and my vision was diabolical i was illusinating and had double vision.  I telephoned my employer and agency and cancelled my shift for that day and returned home.

I went to a+e at the Queens Medical Centre in Nottingham and all necessary tests were carried out including and ECG and blood pressure and oxygen levels and not conclusion was made at that stage.

When I finally got to see a doctor 3 hours a later who I have to say was fantastic she had not heard of this drug and had to look it up and we found out one of the side effects was blurred vision plus I had taken an overdose.

The consequences for me I had drove that day would have been unthinkable and whilst this drug is very effective at controlling wheeziness we must all be wary of its side effects which I have to admit are in the advice note.

I hope things go well for you I was diagnosed last year but have severe COPD and are due to undertake pulmonary rehab

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.