Anyone wake up starving at night?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I do so well during the day with eating healthy. For years I have waken up at night starving! I notice my blood sugar is lower than usual but not too low and recently this has gotten worse I had surgery. So im battling with that. Anyone experience this? By eating something at night I think its affecting my weight and my blood sugar will be high when I wake up because I ate even something healthy.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It never happened to me.... I control my diabetes with diet and exercise and have been successful in lowering my sugar levels. Low carb, Paleo diet, wheat free, sugar free.....I eat around 6 pm my last meal of the day and until the next day around 7 am I eat nothing, nor do I crave food. I do not drink alcohol, I am very active, do yoga and pilates and manage my stress levels.
    • Posted

Thats great!! Im on a keto diet and maybe not getting enough calories . My sugars have gone up after surgery seeing my doc tomorrow so hopefully she can help. 
  • Posted

deedee, not me.  But you just started on a new drug, right?

I forget, how many carbs per meal are you eating?  Maybe you could do a few more carbs per meal, or have a late snack, without hurting your numbers, and you'd do better at night?

• Posted

This sometimes happens to me.

If you have your main meal in the evening try eating a bit more then or have it a bit later so you do not wake up hungry.

Sarah

• Posted

I care for my diabetic, elderly mother. She often gets up in the night and raids the kitchen looking for sweets. It’s gotten so bad that I can’t  keep any candy or other sweets in the house and I have to hide the bananas because she’ll eat five if given the chance.

I try to keep a snack on her bedside table- almond butter on glutten free toast, bacon , almond milk, nuts are some of her favorites. Not the best solution, but it works to have a little buffet on her bedside table.

Any natural approach suggestions would be helpful.  I dont think its healthy for her to eat at night and dhe loses sleep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.