Anyone with anxiety feel like onside of their body gets numb and cant coordinate hands?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I suffer from health anxiety and have had numerous tests for heart, chest and brain. I have been to the ER so many times and different hospitals, that I have had maybe 10 chest xrays in the last 6 months, and 4 Brain CT scans in the past 13 months. I get this weird feeling where the left side of my head feels numb and feel like I cant coordinate or balance on my left side and also feel like i will faint and pass out unconscious. I asked my family doctor who said my ct scans are normal, and i saw a neurologist about 18 months ago, who said nothing was wrong only problem is i never experienced some of these symptoms before during that consultation but my doctor says i dont need another referral.

This scary feeling i feel the left side of head gets numb and my hands feet feel clumbsy like i cant coordinate or move, and feel unbalanced on my left and side, I am worried if all these radiation tests like ct scans, and xrays could have impacted and is causing some of these symptoms. Does anyone with anxiety experience this?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Hi Tom,

Yes, I believe anxiety can do that. I suffer from health anxiety which got worse in the past year with COVID and everything, and then again a month ago when I thought I had MS (went for an MRI for some migraines, the MRI was clear except a few tiny white matter lesions which I thought were MS; went to two neurologists who asssured me it's not).

Long story short, ever since I had that scare and was more or less convinced I have MS, I started developing related symptoms. I had some minor twitches, a bit of tingling and for about two weeks now, I've been feeling that the left side of my body (mostly my arm) is weaker and clumsier than the other. I also notice a slight tremor in it. I should mention I never felt any of these symptoms before the MS scare.

That being said, I try to use it as much as I can (although it's not my dominant hand). I also went on a short vacation recently and I was moving around a lot and talking to people and I forgot about that symptom for hours at a time. So yeah.. I think it's anxiety. If the doctors told you you're fine, you're probably fine.

I think a common fear among us health anxiety sufferers is that we write off a symptom (or series of symptoms) as anxiety and delay getting a diagnosis / treatment for a potentially serious disease. That's my vicious cycle of thoughts, at least. But I'm aware it's wrong and unproductive, particularly when I've had tests that show I don't have anything serious and two doctors who have told me I'm fine.

Are you doing any kind of psychoteraphy for your anxiety? I think it might help. Take care! 😃

• Posted

Hi Tom. I also had a series of symptoms which freaked me out and sent me running to the doctors. Blood tests and scans, and apart from anaemia everything turned out fine. But each new symptom arising would start me worrying again. Numbness, tingling, ice cold prickling all over, then feels you feel faint in the arms and legs you get when you're scared, cold hands and feet, dizziness, balancing problem, forgetfullness, sleep tremors, and now the latest thing, really weak hands and a slight occasional tremor when I'm awake. And still I get so worried that I actually have a serious illness which sets off everything again.

So yes, I get the same symptom where the numbness was more on my left side especially left hand (first I thought I was having a heart attack or stroke). I don't get it on my face so much as my lips, except for one night where the left side of my lips suddenly went completely numb (as if I'd been to the dentist)! Freaked me out. I stopped googling. I just read through this forum.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.