Anyone with bronchiectasis practicing yoga?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been a yoga practitioner for many years. The main problem for me is when I lie on my back it can start me off coughing! It's not too bad most of the time but can spoil relaxation for me sometimes. How does anyone else cope?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello 4jean! When I lay flat on my back the cough fest does begin. I do not know of a great relaxation technique so I am interested to see what replies you get. I hold tension in my back and rib area I think. People have suggested yoga but I thought I would be breathless way too easily. Good luck!
    • Posted

Yoga does have many benefits but be careful about which type of class you go to. There are so many different styles of yoga nowadays. I find a lot of postures beneficial and especially the breathing exercises. Thanks for replying. 
  • Posted

Sounds silly, but would it help if you could know in advance and accept that lying on your back may evoke some coughing? I don't do yoga but for 20 years have known that lying down on my back can bring forth a few coughs. It is the change of position. Lying on my stomach does the same thing so I do that one on order of my pulmo.

• Posted

Yes I'm always prepared for it! I've found having a pillow under my head helps for the relaxation which isn't traditional but needs must. Fortunately I don't have the problem lying on my stomach. Thanks for your reply. 

• Posted

Jean,of course I dont know what is causing your coughing, but a few things springs to mind: The exercise of yoga is breaking up sputum that you then have to cough up. But you did not mention "sputum production", so not likely the culprut. The other thing that comes to mind is exercise induced asthma. I get that sometime when Im exercising. You didn't mention asthma so perhaps this is not the case either.

Added to this list might be allerigies to someting where you do your yoga practice or reflux from the stomach through the esophagus. Reflux whould usually I think give you a burning sensation along with a cough so you would have noticed this  already.

Hope this helps, Will be interesting to see what others suggest.

Good luck

Russ

• Posted

Hi Russell.  Yes it is sputum, I have to clear my throat repeatedly which isn't ideal in middle of relaxation! Not surprising because lying on my back at home is how I can best clear my lungs of mucus. Was hoping to find others that have this problem to see how they manage the situation. Thanks for your reply. 

• Posted

Does lying on your back at home before you do yoga make any difference? For me, it would depend entirely on the day and how much time elapsed before I was in that position again.
    • Posted

That's a good idea. Will give it a try. Thanks. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.