Anyone with experience of hip replacement revision for 90 + year old?

Posted , 8 users are following.

91 yo male with a 20 yo painful RPHR(Hemiplasia)and unpredictable unbearable hip locking is booked for a Revision THR in a fortnight.

Any one out there have any experience, suggestions or thoughts?

It'll be done in an Australian Hospital by a recommended hip revision surgeon and

team.Ignore the Financial.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello,

Yes.... I too think it is important that people let others know the outcome of their procedures...... hence why I did just that. Did you not see the below information I posted 6 days out from surgery? .....

At age 91, it seemed I'd outlived the partial hip replacement I underwent 20 years ago. I was in constant but bearable pain until 2-3 months ago when I began to experience excruciating pain upon intermittent, debilitating hip locking! Diagnosis suggested the metal head of the Thompson's prosthesis was eroding the bone in my pelvic socket. This led to my having to make a frightening decision as to whether to undergo total hip revision surgery; major surgery accompanied by huge risks and possible complications given my 91 years of age. Of most concern was the risk of femur bone fracture upon removal of the well cemented old prosthesis and complications of major, 3 hour surgery such as haemorrhage, kidney failure, heart failure, pneumonia.

After reviewing comments and experiences from this group, reviewing recent publications of anthroplasty statistics & outcomes, and researching the qualifications and experience of hip revision surgeons, I decided to take the plunge and book-in to undergo total hip revision surgery last week.

I am very happy and extremely relieved to report that the 3 hour surgery went smoothly and none of the possible complications eventuated. The surgery was performed under spinal block epidural and light sedation. I came out of anaesthesia well and spent and expected 3 days in ICU to stabilise blood pressure, heart rate, oxygen levels and kidney function before being transferred to a standard orthopaedic ward where I currently remain.

It has been 6 days since surgery. I am on panadol osteo and daily oxycodene , have no pain when resting and no longer experience hip-locking. I am walking very short distances now with a support frame - this is painful and difficult but of course will improve over time, (hopefully). In two or so days time, I will be transferred to the rehabilitation arm of the hospital. This is where the "fun" will truly begin! Let's hope it will not be too painful!

Overall a very successful "Step 1". Now onto rehabilitation and full recovery! I know it's an individual thing but, does anyone have any insight as to how long re-hab may take, or how long for pain to subside after total hip revision surgery?

Thank you for your comments on this site and all the best Easter wishes to you all!

1 like, 6 replies

23/06/19 My latest update is I am doing well but am now experiencing terrible sciatica pain from (I believe) a bulging disc in my back. I had this way prior to my hip surgery but now that the hip pain is no longer, the sciatica pain has unfortunately come to the fore with a vengeance!!!! Perhaps I should have continued with post-op Physiotherapy..... (I gave up on this 3 weeks post hip surgery)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.