Anyone with experience of the early days of HRT?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello ladies.

I have been through a real rollercoater of emotions over the past year and the last 4 months have been a living hell. I have a history of a anxiety but had been coping well for many years with SSRIs. Recently my anxiety rocketed to ridiculous proportions and I dont mind admitting I got so desperate I didnt want to keep living. My doctors were useless, shoving sleeping tablets at me. Eventually I was recommended a lovely lady consultant outside of my area. I had to ask to be referred out of area but it was the best thing I did. Finally I found someone who listened to me and understood what was happening for me. She suggested I have a Mirena coil fitted and start on HRT in an attempt to help me get my life back. I have now had the coil for 2 weeks and have been taking estradiol 2mg for just over a week.

I was feeling ok but this weekend my anxiety reared its head from nowhere and I experienced panic again last night for the first time in a few months. A lot of the posts on this site are anti-HRT. Does anyone have positive experiences?

Does anyone have experience of those early days with HRT? Ive just started to bleed so don't know if its linked to my cycle still? I also have a rushing feeling in my head and legs like I'm super aware of my pulse.

I'm trying to remain rational so some positive experiences of HRT would be helpful

Thank you ladies

Anita x

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anita

I tried HRT and it didn't help me

Fresh air, a walk really helps my anxiety issues, I know it's cold and God knows I haven't felt like going outside lately but if you can do it you'll feel better

Mrs M xxxx

• Posted

Hi Mrs M

thanks for the reply. I walk my dogs every day and do loads of relaxation and mindfulness exercises. I also deliver training on mental health so I'm doing everything I know how to do to manage my own anxiety. I just got to the stage where whatever I did it didn't help... hence the decision to go down the HRT route. It wouldnt have been my first choice, believe me. I'm glad fresh air and walking works for you.. I think I've walked the equivalent of 3 times round the UK in the past 4 months :-)

Regards

Anita x

• Posted

Hi anita

Oh bless you sweetie.

Just remember HRT will also take time to settle, and your hormones will be thinking whats going on, good 6 months needed for HRT to settle and body to adjust and accept and sort its changes out.

Then you should know if its helping or not or whether its the right HRT for you

Jay x

• Posted

HRT was a miracle cure for me....!! Less anxiety and more being temperamental with me ! And then weepy..totally overreacting about everything.....

i had a very demanding job, doing shift work.....no time or inclination to wait for the often long term effects of homeopathic remedies.....I had to be " firing on all cylinders"  24/7....

after 6 months of going it alone is n the change, various natural remedies, horrible symptoms and thought I was losing my mind !!! My doctor said " have you considered HRT ? " I replied that I was considering throwing myself of the top of the car park if she didn't do something ( joke) !!!!

6 weeks after taking HRT...no more nite sweats, so I was sleeping for the first time in months. 3 months later...no joint aches, and a return of my body fluids...the nite itches went....and along with it a lot of my mood swings.

You may have to try a few different drugs.....We were lucky, I had taken a duel contraceptive pill when younger which really suited me, so looked for an HRT with the same combinations ..and hit pay dirt..! 

..good luck.....my heart goes out to you.

• Posted

Hello Anita, I would suggest that you report this symptom to the doctor. Sometimes, it takes time for your body to adjust. However, there are medicines to help anxiety and panic. Remember that when we go to doctors they are trained in medicine so that is why they tend to have pills as the solution to our problems. I also like trying to get some fresh air and make sure I wlak regularly,. This helps my mood. I am grateful for my dog who makes sure I get  outside.
  • Posted

Hi anita

I do not have any experince with HRT but with my anxieties that I have I feel that HRT will throw my body off if I add HRT when I'm already on medications for anxieties and depression My philosophy is this why put hormones in your body when your body is lowering the hormones plus I'm on a thyroid pill for low thyroid hope things get better for you

• Posted

Hi Anita, I understand what you area saying... I have been there.  There are times I don't want to go on but do only for the sake of others (my son, mom, sister, etc.)  I would never inflict the pain of me saying "goodbye" to life on them, but, I have wanted to be done.  I totally understand.  I am only on progest cream and estriol oil along with vitamins and armour thyroid.  I was on antidepressants for 17 years.  I weaned myself off of them after getting on these hormones and thyroid meds and feeling like a million dollars... well, now I am back to feeling like crap again and wonder every day if I shouldn't be on AD.  BUT, I will tell you that I don't have anxiety anymore thanks to daily doses of Klonipin.  I don't have panic attacks, that can't be fixed by .5 of a mg. of Klon.  I also know you need progesterone to offset the estrogen so I hope you are taking that.  As for being anti-HRT, I think people are probably just scared of the likelihood of cancer.  If you don't have the risk factors for cancer and you are monitored, then you're probably OK.  I am NOT against HRT and will get on a patch or something SOON if these topical remedies don't do the trick.  Technically, any of us using progesterone cream are receiving "hormone replacement therapy."  I am on HRT, I am just not on the pills or the patch or other delivery systems because I wanted to start with a "light" approach so doing topical Estriol oil but that IS "HRT" by definition and if "upping" it doesn't kick these pains and exhustion, I will probably go on the patch.  

I can't live like this and I know from experience AD do not help me.  And I do know from other people that it's normal to have weird cycles when you first go on hormones.  

I would keep a journal of your bleed days and all symptoms each day.  then show your practitioner and see if something needs to be adjusted.  I would love to hear some positive things about HRT.  I would LOVE to find out that it worked for someone!  smile  Best of luck to you and don't give up hope.  Your life is worth it and you want to live it because that's why you sought answers and that's why you came here.  Message me if you want to speak privately.  Do NOT give up!

• Posted

Hi Kim

Thanks for your kind words. It truly is a struggle isn't it. I have some good friends around me though and we manage to have a laugh about it which is the best medicine there is. Getting up and going in the morning is my toughest time as I always wake with anxiety. It's exhausting! But as you say, the alternative is not an option as I too couldn't bear the thought of what it would do to my children and husband if I decided to bow out.

Thanks again for the encouragement. Onward and upward!

Anita x

• Posted

Good! Please keep me posted how the HRT works over the next few days/weeks... And consider Clonanzapam if your doc agrees - it works wonders for anxiety for me! And no long term commitment...as needed.
  • Posted

Hi:

I also have problems with stress and anxiety.  I do take medicaiton for it when it pops up.  I am also on an antidepressant that does help a lot.  Only problem is that all the doctors want to blame my depression for any and all physical problems I have.  I am on HRT and feel much, much better.  A more balanced feeling.

I gave up listening to all my friends tell me not to do HRT, they do not understand what I deal wih everyday so I have stopped thoes conversations with everybody.  Its there to use and I am going to use it.

I hope you find some answers and peace with the anxiety or depression.  Its awful and non of us can just get it under control with positive thinking or smiling and sucking it up.  I have no more problems with taking meds.  It is a decision we all must make for ourselves.

bless you

kathy

• Posted

Hi Anita, same thing happened with me and my doctors and friends.  Everyone blamed depression.  And my friends either (a) won't admit or talk about peri or (b) aren't in it yet.  When I found this forum, I found friends and I hope you do too!  I have learned much here and hope to continually balance my medicaitons, natural remedies, diet, etc. so that some of this will get better.  I just got my labs back today and my female hormones are almost non-existant, my thyroid function indicators are low (actually, the number is high, which means the thyroid is working too hard) AGAIN despite being on thyroid meds, my vitamin D levels are in the teens and my c reactive protein and cholesteroal and blood sugar are all elevated.  I am a clinical mess.  But I am determined to find rememdies and relief!  Thanks for the nice message and encouragement!
  • Posted

Hi Anita

Me too!!! I am 44, 3 years of perimenopause with 14 year history of moderate anxiety successfully managed with SSRI 's (first paxil, zoloft for 10 years and effexor xr for last 13 months). Effexor has been the best of all for me (dose of 75mg daily). But recently have had really bad anxiety and panic attacks out of the blue (no extraordinary lifestyle reasons).

I saw a new GP yesterday (a lady) and she was wonderful. She told me I had classic symptoms of perimenopause (erratic period/cycle length, occasio al night sweats, occasionally insomnia, headaches at start of period (never before), sweating and last week weird panic attacks and anxiety.

She reassured me that it was not a case of the effexor being ineffective but rather erratic hormone shifts. She recommended blood tests in about two weeks (first day of period) to check hormones, than possible HRT treatment.

She said under 50, HRT is safe and anyway new science suggests cancer risk post 50 may not be risk.

Also suggested that if I have any panic or bad anxiety in next two weeks before I see her again after blood test results, to take my xanax (a benzodiazapine)as needed. I have low dose at .250mg.

Let me know how you are travelling with HRT and what brand you are on. I am in Australia so would be interested your brand and what your doctor recommended.

Best wishes,

Sydneymum

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.