Anyone with liver cysts?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Are there others with liver cysts like myself?  (i think i have x3).  I'm just interested in the outcome as I am being monitored for them at the moment.  I had a follow up scan and MRI a couple of weeks ago to find out if things have remained stable.  My LFT (liver function tests) blood tests are all normal.   Thanks

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Carina, I also have 3 cysts each under 1cm detected by MRI last year . They told me these were FNH and are common in females, and can be caused by being on the pill. They said no follow up at all was required. Not happy or comfortable with this, so the scans are now being double checked to make sure the diagnosis is correct, due to me asking 4 this to be done. Feeling quite anxious !
    • Posted

It depends on what my consultant says from my recent follow up.  If he decides to 'discharge' me then I'll ask for an annual liver scan and I'm going to ask my GP if I can have 6 monthly liver function blood tests as personally I want peace of mind and to make sure the cysts remain stable.  From what I understand they don't like to operate and tend to leave them alone.   I have no idea how I got mine but I am 53, type 2 diabetic and also have fatty liver which was also picked up so all the more reason for me wanting to be kept monitored.  I was on the pill for a number of years when I was in my twenties but don't know if this has caused them.  The main thing is that they are benign but I don't want them to increase in size if I can help it.  I've already stopped drinking alcohol and am losing weight to help improve my health.  How were yours found?  Mine was when I thought I had gallstones (which I don't have) but the cysts were found instead.  Originally only one was mentioned by an MRI which followed my first scan found the rest.  It came as a real shock to me I can tell you but in a way glad I know about them and my fatty liver because now I can make lifestyle changes. 
    • Posted

Hi, I started with having upper right intermittent pain day after alcohol. Also suffer upper bloating from time to time. U/sound showed a cyst and fatty liver. MRI was then done and this showed 3 benign FNH. I was then discharged and told no follow up was needed. They would disappear when I hit menopause. I am 47. Year done the line was no better , so referred to different hospital. Had fibroscan liver and endoscopy. They agreed to recheck the original MRI scan diagnosis and requested copies of scans from original hospital. Know the endoscopy showed mild gastritis but still waiting follow up appointment to discuss others. My lft have always been normal. I have kept duping my toe in water and having odd glass of wine but each time I suffer the next day. Can go 4 months not touch a drop and then think u will try again! Whilst I am in no way dependant on it, I so miss it on nights out when everyone seems to be having much more fun than me.
    • Posted

I had an endoscopy earlier this year before my liver cysts were found and it was found i also have a hiatus hernia (again, more reasons to lose weight).  My cysts are larger in size that yours but i've no idea how long i've had them (one of my GP's said i could have had them from birth).  These cysts are more common than i thought but i guess my main fear is if they grow any larger as i really don't want to be operated on as it would be quite risky.  All i can hope to do is hope things improve with my lifestyle change.  It's funny but my consultant said that if the whole population was scanned, more than half would have liver cysts so there must be a lot of people out there who have them but don't know about them until they start to feel ill ie especially with the fatty liver.
  • Posted

I have both polycystic kidney and liver disease. My function in both is ok, but my liver is enormous...almost filling up my entire abdomen. Chronic sepsis from infected cysts over the last four years have put me in a place of starting evaluation for kidney/liver transplant.

Many people have "a few cysts," but if you are ever concerned, ask your provider to rule out pld.

• Posted

hello there,  polycystic liver was not mentioned to me but i do have one cyst on my kidney also.  Although i have received a letter from my consultant from the follow up scan telling me he has now discharged me, i feel i would like to make an appointment to speak to him as i do have quite a number of questions i would like to ask.  I'm not entirely comfortable with being 'discharged'.  My liver did not show up enlarged or anything like that (i do have fatty liver though) but i think it will be peace of mind for me to get some answers.  Hope you are doing OK, what are your symptoms?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.