Anyone with loss of taste after tubes?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Back story: I had a mastoidectomy on my right ear 6 years ago. The "forever" tube placed in my ear lasted less than a year. Since then, the ENT has avoided tubes because they don't stay and I use hearing aides to compensate for the hearing loss due to the holes in my ear drums.

The hole in my right ear drum closed up, and 2.5 weeks ago, I had my umpteenth tube placed in my right ear only. (Left ear drum hole is still there.) I woke from surgery with most of my taste buds gone. I have a few working on the far left only. (Less than 1/8 of my tongue.) ENT says that more than likely the nerves near the eardrum were bruised, even though it's not common for tube surgery.

Anybody go through this? How long does it last? Anything with a lot of spice or flavor overwhelms the few taste buds that work. If I don't eat on the left side of my mouth, it all tastes like nothing.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jennifer,

Aw so sorry you are suffering like this.  I am not far enough into this awful condition to have had any of this done - yet.  I hope someone pops along that can help you. xx

• Posted

Reading through some off these discussions, I don't think many people are. My EDT has been lifelong, and this is a first. Thank you for your response, though.

• Posted

Hi Jennifer,   Never been through tubes, all meds and Prednisolone steroid tablets for me, which I'm on at the moment for completely blocked left ear, sinus issues and polyps.  My smell and taste went away years and years ago and only returns for a short spell after the Prednisolone have done their job of drying up all the inflammation and getting rid of all the mucus I make from allergies.  So many on this Forum suffering like you....read some of their posts.

Anne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.