Anyone with LPR pain one ONE side of throat? Trying to decide if I have LSN or LPR..

Posted , 17 users are following.

I'm new to this forum and so glad I can be part of a community that supports our individual journeys towards healing smile

I'm 28, and for the past 6 months.. I've had CONSTANT, unrelenting burning throat pain, which started on the left side of my throat. After an endoscopy, it shifted to the right side of my throat. But its always only on ONE side.

All my symptoms match those of LPR (Laryngo-pharyngeal Reflux) - dry cough, burning sensation in side of throat, vocal pain (difficulty speaking at length) akin to laryngitis, mild globus sensation, throat clearing, and sometimes after eating- excess mucus or saliva.

The fact that the pain is on ONE side of my throat makes me wonder if that's even possible with LPR? Also, when I wake first thing in the morning, all symptoms seem to temporarily disappear, at least for a few minutes, until I'm fully awake and they're back. So it's best in the mornings after a night's sleep. I'm wondering if this could be because that's the only time when I'm not eating for a long stretch (and hence the aerolized reflux is better then?)

I know I sound confused but it isn't all in my head since I've had two laryngoscopies, the first one showed mild swelling (but otherwise normal vocal chords), the second showed the swelling healed - but the pain is always there and never went away. I've had an endoscopy which showed a lax GE junction, grade A oesophagitis, a monametry which was a normal study, and I'm about to get restech pH testing. 

So I'm wondering if I might have some nerve injury instead like that of LSN (Laryngeal Sensory Neuropathy). Especially since all this started when

a) I had a long viral (really bad flu infection), then a wisdom tooth extraction, b) for 2 weeks post flu and extraction, I was FINE, no pain at all, until

c) a few more days later, this burning pain in throat started sad

I'm really just reaching out to ANYONE who might have some words to share or any sort of similar experience in this regard -  this such a tough and confusing situation to be in and I love that this platform exists where we can help each other! 

2 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Your symptoms sound just like mine! I have burning mostly on the left side of my throat. Sometimes it travels up to the left side of my tongue, mouth and even into my sinuses and ear. Mine too is better first thing in the morning. I've tried going vegan and cutting out known bad foods, but I still have the burning. It's the worst at night. I'm so discouraged, and I'm scared of the damage that's happening. Have you had any breakthroughs?

• Posted

Anyone got this under control? I am searching thru internet, and this came up. I know it's 4 years ago but if you get this mail, pls reply me 😄

• Posted

hi, have you made any progress. i started having one sided lump feeling in my throat for 6 weeks and then got the sore throat and thick mucus feeling above my soft pallate. the sore throat would move to different areas of my throat throughout the day. when i wake up its generally pretty good, just feels dry and get worse as the day goes on, tend to feel better in the evening. ENT suspect LPR. did 2 weeks of PPI and thats when the sore throat and mucus started! so fustrating!

• Posted

I have exact same thing, morning is good for a while, one sided etc.

• Edited

I have exactly the same issue. Did the strict diet thing for over a month and most of the symptoms disappeared, but now (3 months later), they are back. Very sore throat on one side only. I continued taking Prilosec 2 times a day along with liquid antacids. I also continued sleeping with the head of my bed raised up, haven't had coffee in 3-4 months, have had citrus fruit, tomatoes, etc., but still the issues returned. Very frustrating. I haven't been back to my ENT again, but I know that he is just going to recommend the full diet once again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.