Anyone with Prinzmetal Angina scared to drive?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have recently been diagnosed after several severe attacks. I am on medication and have nitroglycerin pills and have not had an attack for three days. I know in a couple days I should be fine to drive again but it terrifies me. Am I being silly?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi 🙋 Gina,you say recently,how long was it?,I've been diagnosed with angina /unstable angina for years,I was taken in on the 21st Feb,in Canterbury for nearly 2 weeks taken to Ashford (Kent)for an angiogram very quickly taken to Kings College Hospital as I needed a triple bypass,surgeon wouldn't do it because of my emphysema,very low chance of surviving the surgery anyway had another angiogram but this time they pressure tested my heart and arteries found I had severe spasms so couldn't fit stents as if they did the arteries go into spasms and crush the stents so I have no other option but tons of drugs,now I was told couldn't drive for 3 months if it stays stable,if not then who knows,when doctor decide when I'm fit enough I suppose,not doing very well at the moment.

• Posted

I was diagnosed this past Sunday. Unfortunately after I wrote my original post I have had three attacks. So I probably am not able to drive in a few days. I see my cardiologist on the sixth.

I am so sorry for all you are going through. I got lucky there happened to be a good doctor and a good cardiologist when I went to the ER. Not always the case. This is scary stuff. I just can't imagine driving down the road, having an attack and being able to pull over, put the car in park and getting? the nitroglycerin.

I do have it in a necklace that I wear but my attacks are so severe I barely can manage at home. Maybe my driving days are over?

• Posted

Hi 🙋 Gina,you got to think positive ,yes at the moment I am stuck in doors when my wife is at work but it won't always be like this,as long as it doesn't get any worse I should be ok,I retired early but only because of our strict driving license authority took my truck drivers license away because of my condition,still ok with the car license as long as it doesn't get any worse,which became I'm thinking positive it wont so will be back driving in a few months.

• Posted

I was diagnosed with Prinzmetal's last June, with my first major attack occurring while driving. With my severe attacks I nearly pass out. I am now on 240mg/day of verapamil and have a nitroglycerin spray that I carry at all times. I wasn't able to drive during the period of them trying to diagnose me, but since then was advised that my being permitted to drive depended on how confident I felt that I would be able to pull my car over and take my nitro spray before feeling like I was going to pass out. I am currently on medical leave because I have not felt confident to drive on the highway--but drive in town without issue all of the time. If you are still having attacks, or even if you are not but may, I would talk to your cardiologist about having an emergency nitroglycerin spray, so that you have a way of managing acute attacks should they happen...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.