Anyone with RA on anti depressants or anxiety meds?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just wondering and wanting to know if they help.

I've been on anti depressants for half of my adult life. Off and on. Currently on Effexor and plan on staying on it rest of my life. It's the only drug that has done anything for me.

Started at 37.5 and am staying there.

I've been prescribed anxiety drugs but that was years ago. I feelnlike they would probably help mood during flares?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes many dr prescribe it to help mood. Very helpful.
  • Posted

Oh, yeah! Well, I think I read that nearly 50% of patients with RA have depression, and gee, no wonder. Our life is so fun! Lots of pain, loads of uncertainty, beber knowing how you'll feel--and maybe more importantly, they are beginning to link depression with inflamation--so it's not our foult.

I take Lexapro, but when things are really bad, or am really sick (ra or bronchitis or pneumonia, or whatebve)r), I get very down. So , yes. For some people it's stress and anziety other's it's depression. If you Rheum can't help you enough go find a bice Phychiatrist if you can. They are hard to find (nice ones), but keep trying.

No one know how hard this is.

All the best,

Barbara

• Posted

Last rheumatologist was too far away from work and home. Most require a referral from a GP. Seeing GP Tuesday, getting referral to a closer and hopefully good rheumatologist.

Transferred to this GP for yearly physical and convenience. She got records from old rheumatologist and GP.

Last summer was the worst flare I'd experienced up to that time. From 1&10 it was a six. 2 back to back flares within the past 2 weeks.I've had 2 major flares, a 7 and 8.5.

I could barely move after doing yard work yesterday. Here it is 3 pm and just know feeling well enough to do a little yard work.

Psychiatrists are out for me but thanks.

My stress and anxiety is from other people. It's a long story and I'd hare to bore you with it.

Current GP has prescribed anxiety meds and asked if I needed a script last time I saw her. I declined. I'll talk to her about them Tuesday

• Posted

I think with your new GP approval of the current Effexor that you should continue with that and perhaps add an anxiety med as needed.   You hve mentioned your family situation and it sure sounds like you need that type medication for now.   I have read that depressioin is quite common in patients with RA--and we can all understand why..    I was debating asking about a med for depression but will wait til my RA meds get straightened out before adding something else

Good luck with your appt Tuesday

• Posted

Actually, the only reason I mentioned a psychiatrist, is that I live in the US and they do most of the depression and qanxiety meds here.

I do know how crapy people can bem especially regarding our unbearable pain-- that they don't get at all.

Take care, do what you have to.

• Posted

I've found a good DO, she'll prescribe to people that need it. The dope heads and dealers have made it hard on the truly suffering.

I'm also in the US, neat Dallas Ft Worth. She's less than 3 miles from my home.

It's kinda weird. Anxiety drugs help me sleep but also give me energy???

• Posted

I am sure they do. Unfortunately there are no antidepressants I can take as they all interfere with the various drugs I take. I just have to be depressed and deal with it.
    • Posted

mine interfere with my sleep, but otherwise I probably would have killed myself by now.
    • Posted

Tramadol is only a mild painkiller but if she'd not called it in, I may not be here. I don't think I could have lived with another 48 hours of pain.

• Posted

I don't think I would ever kill myself. But any antidepressants are dangerous or lessen effects if I take them with my cancer or RA drugs so I would probably die if I took antidepressants. Can't win. So its a matter of not being able to take them. I am trying some cognitive behaviour therapy right now but not impressed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.