Anyway to predetermine whether blockage will re-occur without removing a Foley cathether, etc?

Posted , 6 users are following.

(I'm a newbie, and a veteran here suggested I start a new thread with my query, to get more responses. Here it is below.)

So, the ER doc said, “bad luck” I had bladder damage from the Foley removal and my first try at self-cathing.

Until 1 September 2018, I was a 67-year old with the energy of a much younger man; and, healthier, for my age, than anybody I knew.  Sadly, now, I need more-experienced “elders”, perhaps, you, to help me see the exit sign from having to carry a in-dwelling urine bag the rest of my life.  I am feeling "lost".  Here's the timeline:

1 September: Ate two plates of spicy Indian food and drank maybe 4 glasses of water during the evening. When I got home I suddenly could not pee nor poo. On the advice of dial-a-nurse, I went to Emergency at a city hospital, around 1am. They took blood work and ran tests. Approximately 4pm a doctor examined my prostate and declared “it's huge”. He ordered a sonogram (ultrasound imager for bladder) and the sonogram nurse said, “You're full - you just bought yourself a cathether”. The 2-liter bag was nearly filled. She strapped on a leg-bag connecting to the Foley in-dwelling cathether. The nurse also gave me a 2-liver overnight bag, and instructions. I asked another nurse “how long will I be wearing this?” He said, “one day to a few months”. I went home.

Did a whole bunch of research.

I read one more more forum posts that if a bladder gets more than 1.3L (1300ml), it doesn't go back to it's normal compressing function.

Bought a lot of natural supplements, ate pumpkin seeds like crazy, etc. etc. while I waited for my Urologist appointment. The uro doc said my prostate was 50ml with no nodules, i.e. no cancer. She opined that my blockage was a “one time” most likely. She actually wanted to remove the cathether at the appointment. I said, not today, as I'm waiting for my 30 intermittent cathethers ordered online. She said that the CIC instructions would be given by a home-health department in another suburb. However the home-health department was very cagey - sounded like they didn't have anybody who was able to teach self-cathing. After several follow up calls, I gave up on the home-health teaching people which operated from a community center.

My speedy hydrophilic CIC's with coude tip, arrived but I couldn't wait psychologically, so I watched video's and read every post in the forums about self-cathing.

At noon, this week. I went to a walk-in doctor/clinic on the advice from the uro, to have the in-dwelling cathether taken out. When the doc pulled it out, it hurt a lot. The doc said, “I hope your uro is right”. My penis was bleeding slightly. By 3:30pm I hadn't peed once and didn't feel like peeing even. So, I tried my first self-cathing. There was 3” of urine but the rest was bloody urine. The coude tip had mucoid blood. So, I taxied to ER at 5pm. The ER doc phone-consulted with several urologists and nurse did tests on the cath that I took with me. Blood work was also taken. I was worried about the bladder getting too full again, and lobbied for a sonogram. At 7pm, the sonogram printed 397ml in my bladder -- this seemed much too little for 7 hours of not peeing.

My penis has a laceration below and under the urethra opening apparently from the catether removal.

Key info came from the male cathing nurse as I he finished installing my second Foley. He said that I was too tense during the removal, and my spincter grabbed the cath. He said that I should have asked the doc for an anti-anxiety shot, Atevan, or something like that, before the Foley removal. He demonstrated with his hand as to how smoothly the Foley should have just come.

My reason for joining this forum is to know if there's a solution to having no Foley in my bladder.   I've gone to a Traditional Chinese Medicine doctor, and got the three herbal remedy bags to boil.  He says that I will be "good" in days. Is there any way to know, beforehand, if the Foley is removed -- that I won't have bladder retention again?  

Thanks in advance for all replies.  

P.S.  A co-worker today mentioned, "Inside the superhuman world of the iceman" which he has already started seeing some results.  Has anybody tried out-of-the-box methods to successfully rid themselves of catheters permanently? (And presumably shrinking their prostate.)  

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

As I'm sure you are aware, there are numerous things than cause urinary issues - the prostate being one of the most common in older men, but at 50cc yours isn't that big for your age. There are men with prostates >100cc with no issues and some (myself included) <30cc that do. As one uro opined - "It's not the size of the donut, but the size of the hole."

My only advice to you would be to find a doctor that will help you properly diagnose the cause of your problem. Once you know that, you will be able to determine which solutions (and there will likely be many) are best for you. Having gone to the ER twice the first of this year to be catheterized , I can empathize. Try to stay calm and positive, you will get through this.  

Personally, I have seen 7 urologists - and dumped all but one very quickly.  Not all doctors are created equal, don't hesitate to interview them and pick the right one for you and move on if they don't seem interested in helping you.  What state/area of the country are you in?

[as a side note, I am familiar with Wim Hoff (the 'Iceman'wink - and do his breathing exercises to help me in my running/hiking.  The best book on that topic I've read is 'What doesn't kill us' by Scott Carney. He is an investigative journalist that started out to debunk Wim. Interesting read. ]

• Posted

Thanks for your wealth of information!

My uro, a cathing nurse, said to *not* jog or even dance.

I will look into Carney's book.  The Amazon reviews look extremely positive.

Btw, I have been eating as many as 30 apricot kernels a day to prevent cancer hopefully.  As a side note, my buddy's prostate cancer disappeared, to his doctor's surprise -- due to 20% conventional medicine and 80% holistic supplement including a 5 kernels a day. 

• Posted

I agree with Tim-B. The first step is to find out what the problem is. Urinary problem could be due to urethra blockage, bladder or nerve damage. Blockage or BPH normally occurs gradually over years.

like Tim said, it is important to find a good urologist or one u could trust.

there are three tests urologists used to diagnose urinary problem:

1) transurethral ultrasond of the prostate (not bladder) to determine the size of the prostate,

2) cystoscopy: a scope is inserted into the prostate and bladder thru the penis to examine the bladder and prostate 

3) urodynamic: a tube is inserted into the bladder (just like the catheter), the tube is controlled by computer. It can pump water into the bladder and measure bladder pressures, urine flow rate , residual void volume, etc

there are 

• Posted

More:

catheter only removes urine from the bladder, it does not diagnose what the problem is. And in ur case, it damaged the urinary tract.

Cost (my experience)

TRUS sbout $500

cystoscopy $2000-$3000

urodynamic $1000-$2000

suggest u ask the urologist office for  the CPT code for each of the procedure and call insurance to see if it covers the procedures.

• Posted

More:

if ur problem is due toBPH, then there are several types of surgery to correct the problem. It may take u a month or two to understand the pros and cons of the various types or u could just listen to ur urologist and do what he says is best for u. I recommend u do ur own research as he may be biased and favor a technology he offers.

• Posted

The ER doc put me thru a CT x-ray scan, which apparently doesn't render the prostate area well, due to "bones", the uro later said. 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.  I do not want any surgery, and am looking for an out of the box solution.
  • Posted

Also, a hospital nurse told me that 100% of Foley cath patients have infections.  I've already been on Cipro (suffered bad side effects, discontinued - two ER doctors could not agree on dosage, length. I looked up Cipro reviews, after the fact LOL.)

The uro prescribed Keflex on my request, to be used, "as needed", with my self-cathing.

• Posted

Just a thought. I had a Supra-Pubic catheter for 3 months whilst waiting for my prostate op as my pee was almost blocked. For me it worked well and much better than self-insert catheter or Foley. There is very little infection risk and no damage to penis or bladder etc
    • Posted

I just looked that type of cathether and wikipee-dia had a second page that may explain why I had a tear in my meatus(?) ..  acquired hypospadias .. another side effect of long term catheter use.  

Wiki also claims that supra pubic's: "the catheter is replaced periodically in order to help prevent infection"

My head is spinning now.

• Posted

Yes, they do recommend a change every 3 months but it's mainly a preventative. I'm sure people vary but I had absolutely no inflammation at the tube entry point. My excellent uro did this catheter on the spot (almost literally) when he was told I couldn't pee. The Self-insert just wouldn't go in any more. The SICs assume you have a 'normally' abnormal enlarged prostate. Mine and I'm sure others had a bulging median lobe which presented a brick wall to the SIC. My super uro nurse tried and gave up.

• Posted

I've had a suprapubic catheter for six years -- prostate crushing urethra to the extent they couldn't insert a catheter into the urethra at all.

After about eight weeks the flow through the suprapubic catheter slows to the extent it needs replacing.

I don't use a leg bag at all, simply a valve on the end of the catheter. 

I use Swiss Stäubli valves which are specially designed for use without a bag. 

I made up a short strap to hang from a belt, the short trap having a clip from a "Statlock" sewn on the end to fasten the end of the catheter into.   Not as good as a functional penis, but about as near as you're going to get.

• Posted

Thanks for your post re six years on the supra-cath.

"On the spot" insertion.  Of course, you had an emergency.

Btw, I'm puzzled as to why your prostate hasn't shrunk with meds or other means, for six years.  I found a 2012 study on the NIH site, titled, Various treatment options for benign prostatic hyperplasia: A current update.  

How many times has it been replaced in your six years?

• Posted

Personally, I would not consider a supra pubic until proper diagnosis.  One uro made that suggestion to me first of the year - turns out, I only had the foley in for 3 weeks. (all is good now) and am glad I waited. If I was going to require in-dwelling for months, then it may have made sense.

My own experiences showed me that some in the medical community do not have the same level of knowledge (and few have personal experience) with a foley. As such, I was given very different advice on how to attach it to my leg, the proper size - pretty much everything.  NONE of the uros themselves had ever had one so they either gave text book advice or let a nurse handle it. Not until I talked with a male PA that actually had used one did I get decent advice on placement.  My suggestion would be to find other men on this forum who have had them for extended periods of time and seek their advice.  For me, it was most comfortable with the bag higher on my thigh, with my penis more in an 'up' position. This helped keep tension off the tip and prevented tears.

Since our anatomy can vary by individual, finding the right placement can also vary slightly. Find what works for you and talk to people that have actually had it in. Another thing I did was to put Desenex (diaper rash ointment) on the head after cleaning and then wrapped gauze around it and used a little medical tape to hold it in place. I did that at least each morning and each evening. That helped me a lot.

Try and stay positive. I recall being a very 'sad panda' for those 3 weeks. You will improve.

-Tim

• Posted

Re:  " (all is good now)"  

How were you made good.  Thanks in advance.

• Posted

Just the last two days, a few drops of whitish mucous has been coming out of the urethra/tube, along with one or two tiny droplets of what seems to be blood.  A locum looked at it and prescribed a topical antibiotic.  My uro said to use Polysporin.

When that stops, I'll use Desenex.

The advantage of the Foley over the Supra, imo, is that I can see how various treatment options (i.e. meds, herbs, supplements) work, or not.

Now, if nothing works, I'm even wondering if the Foley/bag is a better option that CIC-ing, which I tried with a bloody disaster.

Thoughts, anyone?

• Posted

Desitin - baby diaper rash creme. Desenex (what I mistyped originally) is foot powder smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.