Aortic aneurism

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've become preoccupied with the thought there's something wrong with my aorta. I'm very thin and I've read it's normal for thin people to feel a pulse in their stomach but I'm still scared!

I spent Friday night in A&E because my blood sugar dropped really low. There I had 3 ECG's, my heart and lungs were listened to with a stethoscope, blood pressure checked several times and I had blood and urine tests but I'm still terrified that despite the tests, they've missed something!

I've had burning and bubbling in my chest all day and I don't know if it's down to anxiety, heartburn, my period being due or something worse!

Am I being stupid? Would they have picked up on a problem in A&E or should I see my doc and ask for a scan? I'm really scared!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

My grandfather just had this happen. It's very very rare for anyone under the age of 70 to have this problem, especially women. Also, he had it happen and waited a long time to go to the hospital, and although he needed surgery right away, he is doing really well! It is treatable, but still very rare. And there are a lot of warning signs. Also, being very thin also makes you less likely to have this problem.
  • Posted

I'm betting you are a very healthy young lady, with lots of anxiety.  You could also have a hiatal hernia, making your stomach feel gassy or bubbly.  Stress certainly adds to digestive problems.  I also have those problems, but I take my meds and my antacids and try to keep going.  Hang in there.  You have a nice, long, healthy life ahead of you.
  • Posted

Hi Annie, 

I don't come on here as much as I would love too, due to work. Seeing your message, I thought I would leave a quick reply. 

You say you have become preoccupied with the thought of a pulse in your stomach region and possibly this could be due to your. ? Aorta  

You have been to A&E and the ED was happy with all results and feedback, from this alone, talking solely from the perspective of a problem with not just your Heart but more so your Aorta I can assure you they would have picked something up from both the. 

1. Physical Examination

2. ECG of your heart would have defiantly shown an abnormality, more so if you have an enlarged Aorta. ( The greater the enlarged area 1.5 +cm the more your ECG would show a massive abnormality on the tracing, therefore requiring further tests and examinations. ) 

Even then if it was found to be your Aorta of either abdominal or thoracic region, again this would need to be looked at further regarding treatment and options available to weigh out the risks/benefits of surgery to the use of conventional medicine by lowering blood pressure as a treatment option.   

3. Blood tests are one of the most useful tools in medicine, it can tell you a lot about what is going on in your body, how well things are working - like your heart, lungs, kidneys, liver, pancreas, appendix and so on..... 

I am sure you will be fine if you have been checked over your local A&E and they are happy, I know it is hard but try not focus too much on it. 

? What made you think it was a "AAA" Aortic problem..... 

I hope this reassures you some, try not to focus too much on internet for answers, speak to your GP if you have concerns, if you don't get on with your GP find another one, build a good relationship with them, that is what they are there for. 

All the best, 

• Posted

It was the beautiful answer you wrote here. I wish there was someone like you every time I have some unreasonable health concerns. Even if I know the answer to my anxieties, it is much more reassuring to hear it as a nice and a constructive feedback. 

Thank you for your answer to this post. Much appreciated

• Posted

Hi littleannie84, hopefully six months down the line you're feeling better and more reassured about your condition. I agree with other posters who've suggested that you should trust in the results of the tests and the judgement of the professionals involved in your care. Categorically, one hundred percent, an electro cardiograph reading will indicate whether there is anything sinister going on with your aorta. From personal experience, it doesn't necessarily give an accurate assessment of the size of any aneurysm (ECG's are not an exact science in that respect) but it will flag up there's a problem. 
  • Posted

Just remember, the doctors have a responsibility of care for their patients, if they suspected something was even slightly wrong they wouldn't discharge you because they could get sued for medical negligence.

I'm a bigger guy and I feel my pulse in my chest or stomach. It's a normal thing that everyone feels, it's just that us anxious folk home in on this and obsess over thinking somethings wrong. I've had four or five ECGs and two rounds of blood tests since August, and they've all came back clear, I've even got it in writing. Yet the sensations and occasional chest pains carry on, because I'm anxious.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.