Aortic Aneurysm 4.6 cm; Bicuspid Valve

Posted , 4 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I am a 21 yr/old male; 6'3'', 230 lbs... been having breathing problems for two years.  Found out I was born with bicuspid heart valve with mild regurgitation and developed 4.6 cm thoracic aneurysm in descending aorta.  Besides heart am perfectly healthy; already had everything else checked besides brain.  Developed hbp 8 months ago now under control with lisinopril.  Difficulty breathing and constant chest tightness.  Chest, neck, and back pain with increased heart rate.  Cardiologist and surgeons say not bad enough to be causing symptoms.  Any help would be apreciated.

0 likes, 4 replies

Report

4 Replies

  • Posted

    Push them to do the surgery...my moms was only 4cm and it ruptured and we lost her! Do not let them talk you out of surgery..1 Doctor said she needed emergency surgery but the surgeon waited , it ruptured and she bled out..insist on surgery!!
    Report
    • Posted

      That's what I'm afraid is going to happen to all of us!  Everyone knows an elective surgery will be much more successful than an emergency surgery.  Yes, because the surgeons do not want to do surgery until the aneurysm reaches a certain size, we walk around not knowing which day the thing will dissect or rupture.

      Report
    • Posted

      Should I try to convince these doctors or should I get another opinion somewhere else? I'm really sorry about your mom Christina that's terrible.  I know it's probably a touchy area but do you mind telling me what age and the height/weigth your mom was?

      ?

      Report
  • Posted

    I dont think its crazy to get a second opinion, especially if you feel that surgery will benefit you. I am 6'1 240, and was at 5.0 when I had surgery 7 months ago, I am guessing that they are not ready for surgery because the size is important, but a 4.6 on a 5'6" person is considered really big, but over 6', it is not ideal, but not yet life threatening. I will say this, I was told that I could wait and monitor, but the thought of having it in my body freaked me out, and I told my doctor that I want it out ASAP. My sysmptoms were difficulty brething, and upper back pain. Noone can tell you that its not bad enough to cause symptoms, mainly in your case becasue you are experiencign them already, so i would personally either push them for surgery, or get a second opinion.

    Good luck,

    Frank

    Report

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up