aortic aneurysm after the operation

Posted , 4 users are following.

Charlie my fiance,had a check up at the doctors to see if he had an enlarged aneurysm, he had, unbeknown to him, no pain no symtoms of any kind, a very fit and active man at the age of 65. December 12th diagosed, operated on 1st February 2007. It was as you can imagine a big shock to the both of us obviously him more than me. He was advised to stop smoking which he did the day before the op was given colesterol lowering tablets and told to exercise, walking up and down stairs, up and down the garden just as much as he could manage. We did ot have a computer when he had his op so the only information we had was from the hospital which was reasonably informative but it did not say how /what problems would occur after the op! The surgeon explained it would take between 3 and 6 months for him to start feeling better. Well we are now 7 months down the line and he still gets tired and twinges as he puts it in his abdomin, the doctors say its due to the nerve endings repairing theirselves. I personally would advise any wife or girlfriend with a man over toe age of 60 to get a scan, plus we were told it can be genetic so if he has brothers get them to check as well. It has been a ver traumatic time for us both, he is now on the road to full recovery and I'm glad to have my Charlie back. Good luck to anyone who finds themselves in the same situation.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Georgie

My partner had his operation (AAA) 4 weeks ago. How was your fiance after the operation? Den has been in pain nearly every day. He's had a lot of baths (up to 6 a day) as that eases the pain. He did seem chirpier this morning so hopefully is on the mend. He's taken so many pain killers and also has sleeping tablets as trouble sleeping. The worst thing (for me) is he is very short tempered and doesn't like me trying to give him advice. I guess because he is in so much pain he doesnt have time for many pleasantries - did it affect your guy the same? I'll be glad when this stage is over. It's been a lot worse than I thought it would be. Mind you, he was out driving the car 2 weeks ago as he thought he felt well and I don't think that was a good move. How much exercise did Charlie do. I try to get Den to do some walks each day. He has lost 9 kilo (over a stone). Was that the same with Charlie? Thanks in advance. Terrible thing for people to have and unreal how they are not detected isn't it? There needs to be more public awareness, that's for sure. kind regards, Pammi

• Posted

Unfortunately, Den died. Appears to be bad case of malpractice as he was in all that pain and nothing being done about it and he ended up having a heaommorage. I urge anyone who has this operation to seek help if pain is persisting as it could be infected. Even when we went to the hospital after 5 weeks though, with a CT scan showing a 'collection' the surgeon said it looked normal, gave anti biotics for infection and sent him home. He lasted under 5 days - shocking!
  • Posted

Hi, I've just been reading about the experiences of people with aneurysms and to say I feel anxious is un understatement. My dad is 65 and has been told that his aneurysm on his aorta will be operated on in 1 month's time. This is dependant upon the pre-op tests he is presently undergoing as to which type of procedure they carry out. My dad has always smoked and is presently attempting to give up with support from his GP and the drug champix. I will be looking after my dad after the operation, I work part-time mornings, and have two very young children (they go to nursery and junior school). I want to do my very best to help him recover. Has anybody got any useful advice to give me to help support my dad?
    • Posted

Hello, my dad has just been diagnosed with this and was eager to find out your dad is? Mine is 65 too and they've told him it's a very large aneurism so I'm just so scared! X
  • Posted

Hi Sabrina

don't worry, I'm sure your Dad will be ok. Den smoked for 44 years, was 57 years old. He gave up prior to the op. We both did, though I am back on them since his death. We used nicorette chewing gum - I can recommend it if available over there (I am in Australia). If it is a stent operation, it is much simpler but Den had the major surgery and, if not for the hospital, he would have survived well. The chance of death is about 2%. Den had the epidural and came out of the operation pain free. He was sitting in recovery ordering MacDonalds! Very bright and chirpy, you would not have known he had major surgery. Next day he was fine in intensive care. They take them there as a matter of course. What happened there is what, I believe, killed him. He was moved from there to a ward the next day. He had stood that day so could have moved from one bed to the other by standing, sitting on the bed and gently having his legs lifted. However, they instead got him to roll to one side and inserted a plastic sheet under him, then to the other side and tugged him roughly to the other bed. The epidural stopped working (they said it had moved) and the pain was constant until he died. So, my advice - do not let Dad be moved in this fashion. The first few days arent much fun and there is no appetite but Den was still in good spirits. He was sent home after 5 days. I still have to receive the coroners report but it was a heamorrage he died from. So, next advice - expect pain for probably a couple of weeks. then, regardless, I suggest a follow up visit. And, blood tests to check for infection (just in case). Rare that this happens, but it did happen to my lovely man. By the time Den went to emergency he must have had a serious infection, though the surgeon still sent him home as he LOOKED healthy. My grief is indescribable but my mission is to make certain it doesnt happen to another person. So, really, it is not anything to seriously worry about. Just be alert. Nothing strenuous for the first few days. Follow up visit to the doctor just to be on the safe side. Expect pain, though the pain killers helped. Another complication Den had was fevers - be on the look out for that. None of this is that alarming as, if caught in time, it can be fixed. Just tell Dad to be relaxed and don't worry. Laugh often - Den did. He would have been writing here today - it was just the doctors stuff up. Sent home with a prescription for anti biotics and was too late at night to get it. They should have kept him in, given him anti biotics intraveneously, and probably - well definitely - he should have been operated on again as he still had the problem. As I say though, his is an extreme case - why him is beyond me, God must have needed the nicest angel the world had to offer. So, please do not worry. Stay off the smokes. I suggest the epidural cos it did work and worked really well. If they hadn't shoved him around he would have been fine. Hope this helps. Any questions - ask away. Just stay positive and happy.

• Posted

Hello, I've new to this and been reading your posts, I'm so sorry to hear about den that must have been so painful for you! My dad has just been diagnosed with a abdominal aortic aneurism, and after further tests have found out its a lot bigger than originally thought plus he has one in his groin too. I'm so scared! He's 65 and gave up smoking the day he got his results a few weeks ago. He needs more tests before the open op but I'm so worried about him! 

Again, so very sorry to hear about your loved one xx

• Posted

hope my advice helped - probably you dont get on the computer much

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.