Aortic Aneurysm can produce a blood clot .. something to think about if waiting for the operation

Posted , 3 users are following.

Just a reminder that any size bigger than the normal 2.0 cm can produce a blood clot. After 5cm with no symptoms you may need to consider this operation. I had mine done on Nov / 16 / 17 at 4.9cm with symptoms and I have a healthy bicuspid valve. This is a tissue dysfunction and nobody can tell you how thick or thin your aorta is ... everybody is different

So you decide to wait you take meds, run the risk, mentally bothersome and lifting limitations ... I could not live thinking about that constantly

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sorry correction I was operated on Nov 16 / 16
  • Posted

All things need consideration Joseph; I understand you personally could not live with the “thought” on speculation and stylistics or probabilities are always possibility’s, All are balanced against other risk’s, For example; have had my pet aneurysm growing for 4 years this July, others I know, have lived 20 yrs and more all still managed by Meds.

It is true.. We are all different for different medical reasons, some of these facts are not known to our own experiences... So they may have to accept, or choice, because of risk versus greater risks.

We all face difficult choices.  Fear is not one I, or my consultants consider but based on all-risk’s alone… We live... As warriors. We are Survivors who love life, even If medically controlled.

Remember,  It is not risk-free to operate either Joseph, some are not here to think it that out again. The medical team who saved my life are the heroes here, because they made good choices We all need support and strength, as a team what is decided is best for the person, is all ways the best option for them.

Life is not a given for anyone of us to live, it is a gift... I think more on that than on fear of dying. Personally, despite the fight, I solo sail, still work part time as a builder, run a family. I think a lot about how lucky we all are... We are alive!

• Posted

Unrelated to Joseph's discussion, i had to look up your bio here. After reading it, i have to say that you are one of the most incredibly fortunate people to walk this planet! You had a ruptured aneursym and a dissection and you're still here! I didn't think anyone survived a ruptured aneurysm! You must truly be one in a few billion! If there's a god and he actually does watch over everyone, then he was definitely had your back that day. Put in a good word for the rest of us - he clearly likes you! smile

• Posted

I would agree with that if the result wasn't death 99.9 percent of the time. I know others who dissected and had organ failure over it ... never the same since. I confronted the issue .. I don't take meds and that section of my aorta is stronger than any other part. It's done for life and I have no constant reminders or fear about it killing me. I'm extremely happy with my decision. The top surgeons in NYC innthe best hospitals recommend it to be done at 5.5 and 4.8 with symptoms. I can only speak for myself and would NEVER preach what somebody should or should not do .. My point is leaving the anyerysm alone after 5 cm puts you at risk of stroke and the valve will then be over worked trying to push the extra weighted blood out of the heart.. you will be damaging your good valve more if you wait

• Posted

Thank you, Joseph, for informing me of the 1 % chance remaining for me... You obviously missed the point... Some, like myself, have a 96 % chance of death to haver the operation.. if it was less please be assured as you most would... But not all are as fortunate as your good self which you have not considered... by stating the uninformed facts as I know of some who lived on meds for over 22 yrs and no clots and still kicking ass... ! 

The surgeons and consultants know the best advice and I encourage all to be fully informed without the scaremongering or doom crying don't Personally, I dont have the luxuries of 'choices'[ Joseph...! 

Mine op..  Will be a last resort... is what I was trying to say... True, there are risks.. there always is in Life.. thats why death exists... Choices without knowing the full facts can be just as devisting to reallity and stress is a killer... hope is what counts not presumptions of possibilities. You take care..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.