Aortic dissection patients: what have your doctors told you about alcohol?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a type A and type B aortic dissection about six months ago and had surgery to fix the type A. The type B is being managed with a beta blocker and two blood pressure meds.

I asked my cardiologist about alcohol and he said I could have one drink a day. I wondered what advice other dissection survivors out there have gotten from their doctors about alcohol. I'm going on vacation and wondered about having more than uo to two drinks a day while on vacation.

They say that alcohol can interfere with blood pressure meds, but my experience so far is that my blood pressure can sometimes be quite a bit lower after a pint.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

For me, the doctors say to stay away from alcohol, my heart already has damage from my dissection.

I guess the doctors are more concerned about my alcoholism than my blood pressure. I was an extremely heavy drinker most my life up until a few years ago. Haven't touched it since. For me, there is no reason to drink again, it would be my guaranteed death.

I think as long as you don't turn in to a heavy drinker you should be fine, too late for me, and I sure miss the taste of whisky, but I will hopefully never drink again.

• Posted

I'm glad you've been able to manage your alcoholism so well! I had a friend that was an alcoholic and one night while drunk he climbed a multi-story building that was under construction. He lost his footing and fell several stories. He broke a number of bones and did some organ damage too. He was in the hospital for a long time and they weren't sure if he would make it or not. That persuaded him to stop drinking!

I'm not much of a drinker - two pints of beer or two margaritas and I'm done. I like the buzz from a drink or two but something happens after two drinks and I feel intoxicated instead if buzzed. I enjoy buzzed - it makes me silly and loosens my inhibitions some. I don't find my intoxicated pleasant so I avoid it.

Your comment about heart health is very persuasive. Not much point in surviving a dissection and then damaging my heart with alcohol! Thanks!

• Posted

Hi Tim,

I'm not at a point (YET) for surgery consideration (currently TAA is at 4.4cm) and am doing everything I can to avoid aggravating it and risking dissection or rupture. That's a question I forgot to ask my cardiologist, about alcohol. I'm a former bodybuilder/powerlifter (20's and 30's) and now working hard to lose bodyfat I accumulated since I got married (NOT blaming my wife! LOL), full time career, kids etc

I was smoking a very occasional cigar 1 every 2-6 months literally, totally stopped. Gave away my crappy cigars, somewhat painful. My premiums (Cuban Cohiba, Montecristo and Romeo y Julieta) are still sitting in my humidor, I can't give those away. Want to smoke them but I can't sad

Anyway, back to topic. I enjoy a nice 2 to 3 rum and cokes, OJ and amaretto or OJ and vodka from time to time. For diet I know what it will do. I'm concerned what it could do for my TAA? If I literally have these 2-3 drinks once every 2-4 weeks (which is what I was doing previously), is that still considered a risk?

• Posted

PS: BP has always been either normal or slightly above normal, last cardiologist visit (Thur night) was 120/78. I'm approx 75-80 lbs overweight which I'm working on getting rid of. Lost 9 lbs in the last month, just more cardio, cleaning up my diet and water water water. 

Cholesterol is a bit high, working on this. Tryglicerides slightly above normal, taking Omega 3 pills to reduce this number.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.