Aortic Root Dilation---Lifting/Exercise?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone- Just found out on Wednesday I have aortic root dilation of 4.7cm. I'm still pretty freaked out by the diagnosis; I've never had any major health issues before, and reading some horror stories online has not helped.

I joined this group to get some more reasoned facts/opinions from people who have/are going through the same thing. As others have stated, I found out about this condition by accident. I was having some heart palpitations and lightheadedness last month. ECG was normal. Was referred to a cardiologist who sent me for a stress echo, and on the follow up she informed me I had aortic root dilation.

Quick profile: 42 years old; HBP and overweight; but otherwise fairly active. Worked out 3-4/week before this happened. Eating habits weren't great, hence the overweight (that will change as of now). Per the cardiologist I need to lose about 30-35 lbs (not necessarily for this aortic root but just overall health and better BP control). Never had any major health issues otherwise. 

So my question is this: I used to lift weights as part of my workouts. Obviously that's out. And moving pianos is probably not in future lol. But what about normal, day to day lifting? Grocery bags; gallon of milk; moving boxes? Is this safe, or should I avoid lifting anything over 20 lbs? My cardiologist said as long as I'm not bearing down, but that's not terribly specific.

Can I still do sit ups/crunches?

In terms of cardio workouts, what are the general parameters? 75% max HR; 80% Max?

Thanks all in advance and I look forward to learning from all of you!

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Cardio/Aerobic workout like swimming is great where you not out too much weight on the body. 

General walking and light running is fine too. 

• Posted

I was told that I would be able to stay with lighter weights focussing more on reps. Take it easy!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.