Apatite / diabetes

Posted , 3 users are following.

During these high temperatures my apatite is almost none existence and being a diabetic I know it is bad. Has anyone else had the same problem? At this time all that I seem to be living on is liquids ( tea, coffee, water) and my medication. But I have never been a good eater in hot and sticky weather.

Any suggestions?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I've had type 2 for 19 years and my appetite was never very good to begin with but it's worse now. My medication is Metformin and four injections of insulin a day but the after meal dose of insulin is so low, being usually three units of Novorapid that I sometimes don't give myself any as the heat makes my sugar levels go down without having insulin on top to make it worse.  

Obviously it's not good to live on tea and coffee, but have you thought about Complan, those sachets of powder that you mix with water or milk, that advertise that they contain all the goodness of a balanced light meal?  They contain 26 vitamins and minerals so at least you would be getting something, possibly even more than if you were eating "proper" food.  I have tried the strawberry flavour and it's delicious but I wasn't keen on the chocolate,but they also do vanilla, banana and even chicken so perhaps you could try some of those.  It does say on the packet that you should consult your doctor or dietician if you have diabetes but I don't suppose the occasional one would do any harm, although having said that, in the strawberry one there is 26g of sugar in a packet but, if sugar levels are low it's not so bad becase in the heat my levels certainly go down fairly quickly.

• Posted

Hi Spindles

I would not have anything like Complan due to the sugar contents, also with some of these drinks I need to be careful based on some of the ingredients.

Thank you for your suggestion.

• Posted

Please try clear soups maybe cook your own healthy recipes.

confusedSue

• Posted

I am eating plenty of soup, as I am not eating much lately...👎

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.