Aphasia and Deja Vu

Posted , 1 user is following.

I don't even know where to start, but I'll try to make this concise. I was diagnosed with Epilepsy (partial/absence seizures) in my late 30's. I'm 48 now. Lamotrigine has helped a lot. In addition I take 4 mg of Clonazepam per day. I experienced aphasia tonight and it scared me. I was saying to my friend "my mom and I have been playing with wives" when my intention was to say "my mom and I have been playing with scarves". I have also gone through a period lately when I go to speak I cannot think of the word I want to say - it's like my mind has an empty box for the word. I was taking Topamax for about a year, stopped taking it and this symptom has gotten much better, but the aphasia really scared me. I had a brain lesion from an illness that has been confirmed as being 'healed' by my neurologist. Can Topamax cause long term damage? Can taking 4mg of Clonazepam daily for years cause this? My Dr. says Clonazepam would not cause long term damage like dementia or something like that. Could this be from Epilepsy? I almost forgot to mention that for the past year and a half I have started having Deja Vu. Even a few times per day. I just tried Keppra, and it helped, but I couldn't handle the fatigue so I stopped taking it. It's all curious to me and quite alarming. It seems like there is something else going on with my brain besides just epilepsy.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.