Apixaban

Posted , 3 users are following.

i have anxiety and depression and take warfarin.  Dr suggested trying apixaban but i have heard some people feel awful on it, even having suicidal thoughts.  Can anyone give me some experiences so I can make a decision

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Ive been on it about 5 months aside from muscle achs and occasional chest pain im fine.
    • Posted

Do you find it has droppped your mood. Some people say it causes them to be depressed?   Did you have dvt or pe beforehand?  I am worried about changing from warfarin to this. I have never had chest pain since pe. Others also say they have little energy too.  
    • Posted

I do get depressed but i also have a mental disorder so i ccant tell you if its from the apixaban or not. I do have little engery sometimes but then i have tons of enrgey.
  • Posted

Hi Ann, I think both Warfarin and Apixaban can cause you to feel a bit depressed and anxious. I've been on Warfarin for just over two years now and suffered from feeling depressed and anxious along with mood swings. Things have calmed down a lot with me over time. I also know people at my local warfarin clinic on Apixaban who have problems with depression and i went on to Apixaban for a while because of not needing to be tested every few months but had to swap back again because i kept having bad headaches. I guess everyone is different, i cant say i've heard of anyone feeling suicidal on either warfarin or apixaban but i suppose it may depend on the person. I hope i've been some help.  

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your help.  I am on day four of swop over from warfarin.  It feels like i have caught a really bad cold, sore throat, husky voice, cough, temperature waking me in night.  It is hard to know if this is just the start up of apixaban or something else.  Dont see dr till thursday and wonder if i should keep going till then.  Some people report they feel fluey atnthe start, i am hoping that is all it is but concerned.

i see you returned to warfarin due to headaches, did you have any other start up effects?

if i continue like this i think i may have to change back and dont know whatnthat entails.

• Posted

Hi Ann,

when i switched over briefly to Apixaban the only effects i had when i started taking it were the really bad headaches and feeling very lethargic and tired.

• Posted

I have had apixaban for two weeks. Each day has been worse fatigue and depression.  I am thinking of going back to warfarin as i felt better on it, not perfect but better than this.  Was it a problem tomgo back?
    • Posted

Hi, you have been of help to me. You mentioned youmknew of some people who had depression whilst on apixaban, do you know if they returned to warfarin and if that helped

i am really struggling with this, I did have depression before the anticoagulation but now it is so much worse.  Dont know what to do. Go back to warfarin or not.  My dr will try different anti dep but wants anticoag sorted out first.

• Posted

Thanks for your advice.

i have tried to stick with apixaban but the fatigue has been awful.  It is difficult to know as i also have had depression since starting warfarin after p.e. 

i have made a decision to go back to warfarin, even with its blood testing for inr i think i was better on it. I hope i am doing the right thing. My dr says it suits most people but not all and has had others who have changed back.

its a bit of a blow since I thought  all would go smoothly.

can you tell me how long it took to get the inr level back after changing?

• Posted

Hi Ann I have been on apixaban since my clots (leg and both lungs) in Dec.  No suicidal thoughts and no real side effects.  I get tired sometimes but think this is probably just my body healing itself and telling me to slow down. Very easy tablet to take with no diet restrictions but also unfortunately no antidote if bleeding occurs.  Can only suggest that you try it for yourself we all react differently and I think most of us have anxiety for awhile after having a clot.  Good luck and I hope you improve soon.
    • Posted

Thank you. Its been a few days now and im so tired and lethargic on this. I wonder how long gp will leave it before deciding if this will lift.  the thought of even aWalk to shops seems too much. Feel so stupid not being able to carry out normal tasks.   Managed a bath and got dressed but thats about it.  I caught a cold a week ago and it wont leave either, the coughing is causing pain in back and im worried turning into another pe. Need hints on what to take to restore e nergy.
    • Posted

All you can do is listen to your body - remember it is healing and had a huge shock both physically and emotionally.
    • Posted

A week on apixaban and i have woken still with cough and now i am having itching all over. I have many questions for dr.  Anyone else had this?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.