Apixaban

Posted , 6 users are following.

dr has today told me that it was a mistake to put me on 2.5 twice daily,.

i am now told the therpeutic dose is 5mg twice daily.

i am very confused

anyone comment on their dosage

0 likes, 75 replies

75 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ive been on 5mg twice a day the last 6 months. The 2.5 i believe is only if your a lifer.
    • Posted

I am a lifer and she gives me this dose??
  • Posted

Ann I was on 2 x 5mg twice daily for 3 months and then told I was a lifer and put on 2.5mg twice daily although my Dr made a mistake at the start and said just once daily even thou the heamatologist and told me 2 x 2.5mg daily..   Very concerned they cannot get it correct and if I were you I would double check with your GP and refer him to the leaflet that comes with the meds.  Do let us know the outcome. But it also differs depending on why you have been put on it.
    • Posted

I have double checked with gp and told 5mg twice a day is new guideline - seemingly at recent conference drs were told their patients on 2.5 were undercoagulated!  When i asked about lifers dr said yes that is definitely new rule,

i am very concerned they are changing the rules as it is still a pretty new drug and i wonder if they havent got it right.  

I am now of a mind to go back to warfarin much as it is a pain to keep testing, at least they knew what they were doing.

very concerned, its my body and they are messing around. Making me quite depressed about it all.  

Wish there were more comments from others here.

• Posted

I will do some research on this and see what I can find - agree this is all very confusing.
    • Posted

Go to www.eliquis.co.uk   this seems a good site by the manufacture of Eliquis and answers lots of questions but the dosage still seems to be 2 x 2.5mg daily for prevention -  but maybe your problem is different to mine.  I am sure your Dr. knows.

• Posted

Yes, its very confusing for the patient.

i double checked the insert in the packet and it definitely says 5mg twice a day but moving down to 2.5mg twice a day for lifers.   I rang surgery who said dr says its now changed and new evidence presented at conference states 5mg twice a day even for lifers!!  By the way, mine is for post embolisms three years ago.

I would like to speak to a haematologist about all this to make sure this information is right.  Really dont know where i stand.  Have you any ideas how we find out the right information straight frommthe horses mouth?

• Posted

oh dear, your reply has gone to moderator.  Maybe you can rephrase it
    • Posted

My doctor, my hematologist and pharmacists says its 5mg twice a day. Thats what im on. If i am correct the 2.5mg is twice a day if you are on it for life. But when you first get a pe or dvt the treatment on apixaban is 5 mg twice a day for 6 months and then you get rechecked. Dont let them confuse you. Demand a straight answer amd the apixaban bottle website says 5mg twice a day.
    • Posted

Yes thats the way i read it.

i am three years post pe so i assumed from manufacturers leaflet i ought to be on 2.5 twice daily. Checked with my gp and she says new ruling everyone 5mg twice daily!   Website wrong? Leaflet wrong?  I am in a complete tizz about this now.  Thanks for your help, my problem with gp i suspect bt shes adamant. 

• Posted

Sorry cannot be more helpful. I am a lifer and was told at the end of Feb this year 2 x 2.5mg daily this was following extensive DVT in leg and PE in both lungs unprovoked but 2nd time in leg.  Let me know if you find anything different from your haematologist I would be very interested.
    • Posted

Ok, will do. My only point of contact is gp so will,have to ask her even though shes not an expert.  

I am feeling quite fatigued and not sleeping so well since taking these.  Did you have that and do you think it will pass?

• Posted

Yes I would have some days when I am fatigued but others when I feel good - think the body is still healing itself and telling me to slow down. I do not always sleep well but this is due to pain in my leg at night.  Also seem to dream more! Would love to come off them but too scared of getting another clot. Would also like follow up tests (scans) but told these are not needed apart from checking my liver and kidney functions if I want to.
    • Posted

I had a followup ct scan and it was negative. I stop the apixaban today and go for abother ct scan in 4 months. Im just really scared im gona get abother one.
    • Posted

Thats good news, lucky you. I am sure dr knows what hes doing and you can go about your life without this nasty drug. 
    • Posted

Today the fatigue has been bad. I am also having tummy troubles and i think its the fact i am lactose intolerant and these are full of it. Hope to get answers from dr.
    • Posted

I have been quite unwell on these, last few days have nausea, then upset bowels alongside awfyl fatigue and very poor sleeping.  I have been telling myself that this is just start up but last night was confused waking and restless and now i am nauseous again.  I think i will go back to warfarin as although its not perfect it was better than this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.