Apixaban

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi my 82 year old mother is in hospital suffering delirium/dementia she’s also bed bound .. The Dr prescribed Warafrin but her InR was very raised she’s now on Apixaban twice a day . I don’t know if it’s me but she seems more confused than usual and not eating she’s also very quiet Today she mentioned a stomach ache 

I did express my concerns to the consultant but she doesn’t think that her symptoms are the side effects of this drug . 

I’m wondering if Apixaban takes away appetite ! Has anyone got any experience of this drug as I’m worried sick any advice greatly appreciated 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

When i had my pe in november last uear i was on it and im not sure if it was the depression or apixaban but i didnt eat much and lost a few pounds
  • Posted

It can cause stomach pain and is better taken with some food.

If over 80 or weight less than 62Kg the maximum dosage should be 2.5mg twice a day.

• Posted

Thankyou for your replies my mum is in a confused state of mind and I have mention to her consultant about the stomach ache they done a scan and nothing abnormal however she's not eating ,,,  Can  Apixaban cause tiredness as well ?

• Posted

hi di. your mum has got all the symptoms i had on it.i had to be taken off it as i was on the verge of suicide.please keep on at the doc to try another drug.because shes elderly they dont want to be bothered.if your not satisfied ask for second opinion. please dont give up.let us know how it goes

• Posted

Thankyou for your reply , my mum seems to be more confused since being on Apixaban and she has mentioned stomach pain , the Dr has said that her symptoms are not the drug 

Warfarin didn’t work with my mum her INR was always raised to 5.6 which is why they suggested Apixaban 

I don’t know what to do for the best and am wondering what else they could try 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.