Apixaban

Posted , 3 users are following.

My mother has been on apixaban for roughly 5 months she has heart fibralation. She has not been feeling well recently and decided to stop taking the tablets  2 days before she flies I am scared as to what the consequences are. Will this cause a stroke, as they keep telling us. I have advised her to cut it down slowly. She was taking 2 tablets now to take 1  but I am not a doctor and it’s the weekend and we fly tomorrow. Anybody know what I should advise her. She is adamant she is not taking them

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi I am on apixaban and I would not be stopping my medication in your situation as this would increase the risk of blood clots and possible stroke. I would get her to see her gp so he can advise her accordingly
  • Posted

Hello helen,

I was put on apaxiban for 3 months but after a month they made me ill and I stopped taking them. No one told me to stop taking them gradually after the 3 months were up. I told the doctor I was going to take bromelain instead which is a natural anti coagulant along with other natural blood thinners, he said get some ginger root.

I think if you have had clots doctors automatically say you are at risk anyway. I would make sure mom drank water and took/ate foods that were natural blood thinners if she wants off them but, as she is flying we know that is a problem with clotting so, maybe it is best to keep on them until after the holiday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.