Apixaban- Itchy Legs?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am on lifelong Anticoagulation.

Due to the fact that the maintenance dose of 2.5mg twice daily was not managing to keep me in the appropriate therapeutic range, my Consultant Haematologist recommended that I adhere to 5mg twice per day regime.

My only significant side affect is incredibly itchy legs, although not every day.

Has any other Apixaban user experienced sinikar symptoms?

Best of luck to all on their Anticoagulation journey!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I got very itchy on rivaroxaban as well as other side effects, so I changed because I am quite an allergic person. Are you getting a rash with the itch? If it is an allergy you should tell your doctor and they can try a new one to see if get on any better with it.

Is it itchy or tingly? Because I also got this numb tingly sensation on anticoagulation that could sometimes feel a bit like an itch.

• Posted

Thank you Moon535,

No associated rash at all. Definitely itchy!

• Posted

ask to change anticoagulant, I would recommend edoxaban, definitely avoid rivaroxaban I had the worst side effects with that one.

• Edited

Same here, I'm on Rivaroxaban too and have had itchy forearms and itchy shins until recently, (much worse in the winter months with central heating on high - cold feet and hands too, evan in the hottest summers day), a friend suggested I try a baby moisturiser. I've found that if I use this super sensitive moisturiser (meant for babies) does keep itching at bay, apply twice a day.

PS I find if I fold my socks back to the ankle to get the air around my legs helps, but if you're really hip, try no socks at all if you're a fellow like me!

PPS I have no links to Child Farm, just happy to help.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

Many thanks for sharing your experience! It is appreciated!

• Posted

Hi Nigel

I am also on lifelong anticoagluants (apixaban) which i take 5mg BD

i have also experienced itchy legs but i think this is as a result of post thrombotic syndrome - it could be the same for you maybe? I have found moisturising my legs daily helps

• Posted

Thanks Mia!

That is interesting, as I have been diagnosed with Post Thrombotic Syndrome, but did not associate my itchy legs with this!

May I ask why you were prescribed the 5 mg dose, if not too personal, as the normal therapeutic dose is 2.5 mg.

Good luck on your Anticoagulation journey!

Nigel

• Posted

Hi Nigel.

So, i was actually on 10mg BD of apixaban for 14 months. Since January 2021 I have moved down to 5mg BD. I have a IVC atresia which caused extensive, chronic bilateral DVTs and so the higher dosage is what stabilises my condition. I am on this for life.

Because i am stuggling with Post Thrombotic Syndrome, we are running tests to see if I am suitable for the stent procedure into my veins. Hopefully this will help long term with pain and swelling.

How are you doing now?

• Posted

I think as time goes by, the itchy legs issue should die down, if it is the medication. You said that it doesnt happen all the time, which probably means its not side effects of the medication. If it was the medication, the itchy legs issue would happen more frequently, right?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.