Apixaban & Skin Problems

Posted , 4 users are following.

New here, so hello to all...

I've been on Apixaban for about two years and have had itchy skin / sensitive ever since. Not sure it started straight away, I can't remember as it came on gradually. 

Has anyone else had a problem?

I might ask to change to another NOAC/DOAC. Anyone done this with success (or not !!!)

Thank you

Cyrtis

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Cyrtis, welcome to the forum!

I was introduced to Apixaban about a year ago after a stroke following diagnosis of an arrhythmia. I have to say I do not suffer from any side effects of this NOAC, apart from the occasional bruises from innocuous knocks that wouldn't have appeared before, guess that means the stuff is working as it should.

I do take a statin, started on 80mg once a day at about the same time, and that did cause some aches and pains, but now down to 20mg given a healthy cholesterol level, and again no perceived side effects. Are you on a statin as well as the apixaban, or anything else that might generate the skin issues?

Regards

Sherpa Al

• Posted

Hi Sherpa Al, Yes, I'm on statins but been on those a long time. I did have some muscle problems at one stage but that cleared up after a while. 

• Posted

Hi Cyrtis- I have been on Apixaban for about 7 months and have also had itchy skin- mainly on my legs- I must admit that before you mentioned it I have never thought this could be associated with the Apixaban and of course this could be entirely coincidental - otherwise i must admi that I have been fine on this and much prefer it to warfarin which I was on previously 
    • Posted

One of the listed side-effects is "Rash". I haven't really got much of an actual rash, just sensitive skin. When something comes along, like ringworm, I get it. I'm using moisturiser which is helping. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.