Appealing pip decision

Posted , 4 users are following.

Points scored 9 & 10 so i cant qualify for mobility allowance.

Have to get my wife to take me in car to hospital.doctors.shopping etc.Cant bend down to put socks on or wash feet etc.

I had money put into my bank account of £632.29 today,

I phoned pip asking firstly did i qualify i.e. enough for mobility and secondly what my scores were.

Have downloaded the SSCS1 form and waiting for decision in writing from pip.

Has anyone out there had the same

situation.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi David,

So you got Standard for both parts am i right?

Ok so firstly you don't need the SSCS1 form at this stage because first you wait for the decision letter to arrive and then you have to ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) first. You can NOT take it to Tribunal without first asking for this. Have yoiu had a copy of the assessment report? If not then ring DWP and ask them to send you a copy.

You'll then need to put your MR request in writing pointing out whee you think you should have scored those extra points. Please also bear in mind that asking for the MR they'll look at the whole award again and you do risk losing everything you already have. Same for Tribunal. You won't score mobility points for not being able to put your socks on or needing your wife to take you in the car shopping. Do you have mobility issues or mental health for the mobility part? It's really important that you know where you can possibly score those extra points needed.

Your chances of success at MR at only 20% so very slim. You'll most likely have to take it to Tribunal. 65% of those who appear in person at their Tribunal have a decision in their favour. This who process can take 9 months and more. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi David

Just going to say the same as Denise. So won't repeat everything.

I asked for MR and decision was still the same. Took it to tribunal and won. Enhanced rate for both care and mobility. Please if you do take it to tribunal. Attend in person as most paper based tribunals lose. I will say they were lovely people who did mine. And allowed my mum to speak and explain how my condition effects me.

Good luck with everything.

• Posted

Thank you

Basically ive got the money in my bank account before i have had any letter.

So once letter comes im going to appeal

• Posted

You're welcome. You didn't answer any of my questions. Also it's not appeal, it's a Mandatory Reconsideration first THEN appeal after. Most have the money in the bank before a letter arrives.

• Posted

So sorry for not answering earlier

Im a wee bit down after the pip results. I got 9 in one category and 10 in the other.once the letter arrives i will appeal.

David

• Posted

Hi David,

I can fully understand you being down after the PIP results and I truly hope it eventually turns out as it should.

Because you are so down about the decision, can an I just ask if you took on board what Denise and Bobbybo have said.  The first stage is the MR (Mandatory Reconsideration) with an appeal after that, if the MR decision remains the same.

If you haven't already done so, do as Denise suggested and ring the DWP to ask for a copy of the assessment report as this will show where you were awarded points and you will be able to work on evidence needed for the MR.   Lots of good luck and please let us know how it goes.  

• Posted

I also understand why you're so down. However, ypu need to look at all those descriptors for daily living and mobility and see where you think you can gain those extra points. By doing this you then state in the MR letter where you think you should have scored those extra points. Remember what i said mobility isn't about your wife driving you to do shopping or putting your socks on. It's either about mental health which is extremely difficult to score points in or your mobility. Do you have mobility issues, how far can you walk and how often? This is what they will look at, if this you have issues with.

You say you didn't get a mobiility award when infact you got Standard rate, that's £88 per month. Can you afford to lose that money per month? You also got Standard Daily living. This gives a total of just over £300 per month. Are you willing to risk this by asking for that MR? They will look at the whole award again and not just the part you disagree with. Do you have extra evidence to prove you should have scored those extra points? It's a lot to consider.

I would also advice to get help with writing the letter you need for the mandatory reconsideration. You keep saying appeal, when it's not an appeal. They're 2 different things. If that fails you'll be heading for Tribunal. Are you able to appear in person? If not then i would seriously consider going, otherwise you risk a decision going against you. Wating for a date for the tribunal alone can take 10,11 months.

It's a lot to consider, especially if you don't fully understand it.

• Posted

Hi denise

When i receive the pip reply letter i shall study it and book appointment with the citizens advice and let them help me in replying

• Posted

You also only have 1 month from the date of the decision to ask for that MR. Same will apply when the times comes for you to send your request to the Tribunal, which you'll most likely have to. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.