Appendectomy in a lot of pain

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am 39 I had an appendectomy last Sunday I had bleeding in my pelvis and loads of adhesions on my colon which were removed, dr doesn't know why I had these I have no history of previous surgery but my mother died of colon cancer so I now need to be tested for that. I was constipated for 12 days I took loads of laxitives and finally went last night then had about 8 bouts of diarhea, I probably took too much laxitives, I'm in a lot of pain today my ribs feel swollen stomach is raw and feela swollen I'm hoping this is a side effect of laxative or gas, any advice please

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi sabrina 94014, which country are you in? If you can wait till Monday morning, make an appointment and insist on seeing your GP, for an assessment. It's very early days after your surgery and on top of having your appendix out, they found over, what I feel are 'unusual' things that also needed to be operated on. No history of abdominal surgery? Not even as a baby or child? I know you said no history, just needed to check. If you're in the UK, and you want to, you can get hold of a copy of your records though you have to pay for this. When I got mine in 2012 it costs £40. The department is called Access to Medical Records or something like that. You have a right to see them [once you pay first, then it may take a few weeks] and don't let them fob you off. I too have a parent who had bowel cancer. Are they arranging a colonoscopy? And if you have an allergy to the powerful laxatives needed to empty your bowel, they can check your bowel using MRI [my brother had it done - in the UK]. This might be a good option as you are still healing from your op. In the UK, an excellent GP who left the practice, told me about a blood test - it's either CAE or CEA, [carcinogen antibodies] which can detect early bowel cancer. Good luck and if poss, bring someone with you to the GPs, and do not let them fob you off!

• Posted

For 'over' read 'other' wink

• Posted

Hi fifi thanks for your reply, I'm in Ireland, I had no previous surgery ever, my dr checked the hospital records , we have only one hospital , il get to my gp on Monday and ask him about those bloods I'm am praying there is nothing wrong I have two young kids and would hate for them to see me go the way my mother went

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.