Appendicitis or Perimenopause?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

It has been a while since i have been on here. I have been in perimenopause since 2013 and have had a Mirena inserted and replaced again after 5 years, no issues at all, pap test all good!

The last few weeks I have had bad cramping which moved across my lower abdomen to the right side.... the cramping didn't go away so went to my GP who suspected it was appendicitis, so off to emergency where after 8 hours a CT Scan and bloods they found NOTHING!!!!! So my question is, could it be appendix or just perimenopause abdominal cramps!? Have any of you ladies experienced similar? Back to my GP tomorrow as pain is worse.

Many Thanks

Anna

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anna,I have had right side cramping/pain since about 2015 on and off. I went to ER, several doctors, they did a physical exam, xrays, ultra sounds and did not find it was my appendix......when it gets bad, I sit and worry. Last month it was quite bad for almost a week, but I put it off to ovulation as it was that time of month.Talking about it to a friend of mine who is older and past all this craziness she said she had that right sided pain and cramping and once she finished and was in menopause it stopped! I have to wonder if it has to do with the ovary struggling to get out whats left of the eggs. I hang onto hope that it will stop as it is an awful feeling. I do have ibs as well and perimenopause seems to toy with that too, so this could very well be causing the pains.

• Posted

Actually I had a OBGYN tell me that as you get older ovulation gets more painful so that could totally be it. Or you had a small ruptured ovarian cyst. Super painful.

• Posted

Hi Anna,

I have had this, yes. Went to ER in December, thinking appendix. I know exactly the pain you are talking about.

Had CT scan with IV contrast (dye in the veins), and nothing sinister found.

ER doc suggested I follow up with gyno and gp for further instructions.

Ultrasounds and physical exams and pap smears found nothing going on there.

It finally slowly subsided over the month of January.

And now it's back with a vengeance.

GP repeated CT scan, this time with both IV dye and oral dye that I drank, to check digestive tract. Again, nothing sinister found.

This flareup happens to coincide with me hurting my back a couple of weeks ago, so my GP thinks it's nerves and muscles of the pelvis are inflamed and spasming.

What is interesting about both these instances is they have been at times I can tell my estrogen is really low... very light periods far apart, no ovulation mucus ( sorry if tmi), brain foggy and anxious.

I am scheduled to start physical therapy next week... I'll let you know how it goes.

Hope you find some relief ASAP!!

• Posted

Hi Sara,

Sounds exactly the same as my 8hr stint in Emergency... don't you just love the drink they give you for the CT? lol

I've still been in pain since my hospital visit.... it's like period pain but 1000 times worse, it's really had to describe it.

My GP has referred me to a Gastroenteroligist to see what's going on. Will let you know how i go.

Anna

• Posted

I'm almost 2 years post. Had an ache on my right side that started at 43. I'm now 50. I thought it was my liver or pancreas. After an ultrasound, it was found that I have sludge in my gall bladder. The ache is still there but it is better. My diet doesn't affect it as bad as it used to.

• Posted

I had sludge in my gallbladder too about ten years ago, i asked for it to be removed as it was quite uncomfortable at times, the discomfort came and went, it was quite frustrating as no scans picked it up like stones, only when they removed it they saw the problem

• Posted

If the CT scan didn't find appendicitis, then why would you think it's appendicitis? I had appendicitis and they could tell from the CT scan and checking my white blood cell count (elevated). Also I was on the floor in excruciating pain crying. HOWEVER I would ask about a ruptured ovarian cyst. I had that and was hella painful for a long time. For that the ER did an ultrasound. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Sakura26,

Thanks for your reply. Although the CT came back clear I still presented with symptoms of appendicitis. It wasn't until I went back to my GP that he said it could be issues with my bowel, possibly IBS? I have an appointment with a Gastroenterologist on the 20th of this month. Nothing on ovaries... all clear!

will see what happens i guess?

Anna

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.