Appendicolith diagnosis before appendicitis

Posted , 2 users are following.

My question is, once diagnosed with Appendicolith, how long could it take before appendicitis develops? I have a 4 month history of kidney stones on and around both kidneys. I've had them blasted under general anesthesia 3 times since June this year with no relief. Most pain was on my left flank. I noticed right before my last procedure about 2 and a half months ago, i started getting a pain above and beside my belly button. Shooting pain of sorts. It was off and on. I assumed it was pain due to multiple surgeries through my belly button in the past two years (one a double umbilical hernia, the other a partial hysterectomy). They both left numbness below and to the right of my belly button.

About a week after the belly button pain, my stomach would swell like i was pregnant, no joke. A day or two later i began to feel a dull achy pain in my right lower side. Sometimes having a sharp pain on my lower left shooting to my lower right. Few times the pain would hurt on the lower right to the point I'd vomit. Now through my kidney stone war, i was put on a nausea med for sudden vomiting as well as high dose Norcos. I thought nothing of it as i was told this time around i had a rather large kidney stone in the lower pole of my right kidney. I go and get blasted... was fine for maybe a week, then symptons started again. Had several instances where i had the swollen belly plus huge urge to pee with only a trickle. Then about a month ago i walk into my Drs office... no appointment. She sees me, I'm in acute distress at the point, dry heaving and cant get comfy due to pain on both sides. We both assume it's stones, but she ordered a ultra sound and cat scan of both kidneys and bladder. Took over a week for the ins to ok it. I went in to get the imaging test done last Wednesday, by last Friday i recieve a call from my Drs office answering service with this message "if you begin to have pain, go straight to ER, you are at high risk for appendicitis"! Of course i panic as, even though pain had gotten better, it was still in my right side. I went to the ER, blood test normal, no fever, no rebound pain. I was told i had a pretty good size Appendicolith seen in the scans done 2 days prior. No swelling of appendix on the scans. Dr felt i was in no need of er surgery as he stated i apparently don't have appendicitis YET... any thoughts on my chances of developing appendicitis, advice even? Keep in mind, my pain meds help a lot with pain when it is bad. Pretty much kept my self dosed around the clock for about a week.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

  • Posted

    Your story is exactly the same as mine down to the kidney stone I'm on day 12 of this living hell what ended up happening with you 


    • Posted

      So far my Drs just having me keep an eye on my symptons. I get a pain in my lower right abdomen along with bloating off and on, but no fever. She discovered i have a rather large abnormality in my abdomen wall (right where i had my umbilical hernias repaired a year ago)... I'm awaiting approval from my insurance to see a surgeon to repair my new/reacurring hernia. I'll of course bring up the possibility of the surgeon removing appendix and Appendicolith during surgery. I'm assuming you haven't had yours removed yet either? Scary stuff!!!

    • Posted

      Nope they now wanna do a pelvic ultrasound to look at a cyst I have, the issue is the pain is not near the cyst and I’ve already had a ultrasound in the er they said it was fine and not causing any pain 
    • Posted

      Sorry I'm so behind on your last reply.  It's been so crazy being so close to Christmas!  Christmas Eve today... by the way, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

         Update on my situation:

      I finally got an appointment with a general surgeon (after waiting well over a month for approval... isn't that about the norm with insurance nowadays?).  My appointment was on the 14th of this month.  We discussed my umbilical and hiatel hernias as well as my appendicolith.  I asked him if he could repair both herias at the same time during an Appendectomy.  Sadly he refused, stating he would be putting my health at a great risk due to the fact that removing my appendix will introduce bacteria into my system.  Being the fact that he uses meshes to repair the umbilical hernia (as do most surgeons), he would be putting the mesh at a GREAT risk of causing infection to my abdomen due to that bacteria from the appendix... 

         It really sux because I've had SO many major surgeries since about 2 years ago, and every time they put me out with general anesthesia, my blood pressure gets real low, as well as my pulse.  Even during my kidney stone procedures that happened... last one I had, my bp went down to 80/60 and the anesthesiologist had trouble raising it.  

         Anyway, anything new with your issue?  I hope all is good and well with you and you have a very Merry Christmas!!!  smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.