Appendix being removed with both methods

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had my appendix taken out on the morning of Sunday, 7 August 2016 which took four hours they attempted keyhole surgery which didn't work so they cut me open about 6 to 7 inches.

They wanted to discharge me two days after my operation but I complained of the excruciating pain so they kept me in till Wednesday morning and they discharged me.

I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced the same sort of thing as me with their NHS?? being cut open with keyhole surgery as well as open cut surgery?? Is this normal??

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi this is exactly what happened to me last year. Started out as key hole but it had burst and was in a mess was cut open. I was in hospital for a month as I infections and all sorts happening can't imagine being sent home that early I struggled to walk to the bathroom. How's your wound now ? I was stapled then they had to remove so had a big gapping hole. Took from March to August to get back to normal. It's like having a c section so don't be doing anything for next few week suppose with me being in hospital there was nothing to do.

Lisa x

• Posted

Sorry for the delay Lisa My wound is still the same to look at! Doesn't hurt as much as it did when they done it but still need to take x2 paracetamols 3 times a day! I take oral morphine if it hurts too much. I wasn't happy with them only keeping me in 3 days after operation, but all the doctors are telling me home is better, which I don't believe when you have a 2 year old! Still have to do things, like carry him , change nappy etc was really hard n is still painful. I had a c section Jan 2014, then in April this year had key hole surgery for my Gaul bladder! Just was recovering from that one then this happened! So annoying I'm going on holiday end of August and I won't be able to do anything! But sit and lie down!

• Posted

Hi Dee

I had the same thing happen to me on July 7 2016. I was to have a Laproscopic appendectomy. I live in USA and I think you call it Key Hole surgery? Anyway they were able to get the appendixes out initially through the holes of the Laproscopic but when they pulled out the trochanter they saw saw blood in my peritoneal cavity. Upon exploration they saw that the top of my bladder was lacerated (a hole ) from the fact that I had scar tissue attaching my uterus to my bladder from a previous C-section The bladder had lifted during the surgery and was nicked. So then they had to open me up abdominally to do repair. I had an abdominal drain for the 5 days I was in hospital. And a Foley catheter to drain urine from my bladder for 10 days to allow my bladder to heal.

I was told before the surgery that if when they went in Laproscopic way and they saw the appendix was gangrenous or it had burst I would need to be opened up abdominally. And if it had burst I would need to stay in hospital 7 days on IV antibiotics to prevent peritonitis from the toxins released from the appendix.

I am sorry you were pressed to leave the hospital so quickly after this surgery. I was also in a lot of pain an my hospital was very generous with pain meds and my insurance covered the extra days for me.

I was I oral pain meds (Hydrocodone 5mg or 10mg acetaminophen 325mg )about 2 weeks after I went home too. At first it was every 4 hours. Then I weaned myself down over these weeks with 3 pills per day to 2 pills a day and then 1 at night. I supplemented in between doses and as I weaned with Ibuprofen (Advil) for inflammation 3 200mg pills every 3 hours. Eventually when off the narcotics completely I was alternating about a week with ibuprofen 3 pills every 6 hrs and acetaminophen (Tylenol extra strength) every 4 hours. If the dosage times fell the same I took Ibuprofen 1st then 2 hours later Acetaminophen.

While on the narcotic I took 3 stool softener ( Colace) at night before bed and in the AM I drank 1/2 cup of prune juice or a couple of prunes to help with the constipation from the narcotics and post surgery. The prunes /prune juice sometimes caused me more gas besides the post surgical gas from the laposcopy and from the abdominal surgery so just be careful with that. I ate some more ginormous foods too. But had to be careful not to overdue.

It was exactly one week post surgery that I had my first bowel movement. The it was a little difficult not to strain but all the above things I mentioned helped as well as lots and lots of water.

I am 5 weeks post op now and finally exercising moderately. I take an occasional ibuprofen for soreness in the sides of my abdomen near the incision. I do still need a nap during the day. sonetimes but much better. At 4 weeks I was driving again. Most people drive @ 2-3 weeks here but because of the foley I was delayed. The incision itself is numb. At 3 weeks I could get out of bed and a chair by myself and the foley was out and gas much better.

I was told I could go back to work @ 6 weeks but I am staying out 8-9 because I am a fitness instructor and I need to be very vigorous when I teach. I am also 60 years old so things take a bit longer to resolve even though I am in decent shape and fairly healthy for my age.

I hope I answered your questions and gave you some insight on what to expect postoperatively over the next few weeks. Rest and feel better.

• Posted

Hi Dee

I forgot to say that walking right away and everyday after the surgery really helped with my recovery. It got my bowels moving better and believe it or not helped with the pain by moving my body. They were shirt walks at first just too and from the bathroom. But then I progressed to walking outside for a good 30 mins. Now at 5 weeks I have started wth modified gentle yoga, Pilates and toning vein mindful of my limitations abdominally but building strength there as well slowly. Good Luck.

• Posted

Sorry for the late reply Denise, thanks for all the advice, I took lactulose which helped me, it doesn't hurt as much as it did when they done it but still need to take x2 paracetamols 3 times a day! I take oral morphine if it hurts too much. I wasn't happy with them only keeping me in 3 days after operation, but all the doctors are telling me home is better, which I don't believe when you have a 2 year old! Still have to do things, like carry him , change nappy etc was really hard n is still painful. The 6-7 in scar looks horrible, just hoping it fades away. I started walking straight away as I'm not one to lie in bed all day I mentally can't do it! I'm a on the go person so it's hard for me to relax! I had a c section Jan 2014, then in April this year had key hole surgery for my Gaul bladder! Just was recovering from that one then this happened! My stomach is full of scars now, so depressing! So annoying I'm going on holiday end of August and I won't be able to do anything! But sit and lie down!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.