Appendix, cyst or digestive disorder?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I'm at a bit of a loss of what to do and wondered if anyone has been in a similar situation before/can offer advice on my current situation. This post will be pretty long, so THANK YOU if you take the time to read it - I really appreciate it!

Over 12 weeks ago now, I started having reoccurring episodes of getting sick. It would usually start with a mild headache, slight nausea and heartburn, before progressing to severe nausea (sometimes vomiting) and diarrhoea. These episodes would last for around half an hour to an hour and then I'd pretty much go back to 'normal' and be able to eat again. I put this down to IBS-type symptoms and didn't worry too much at first.

However, as the weeks went by, these episodes would become more and more frequent, last longer and be more severe. Eventually, about 6 weeks ago, I got to the point where I was ill every couple of days and had to keep leaving work early. I was gradually losing my appetite and getting ill off food.

I went to the doctors numerous times up until I got severely ill and they suspected an inflammatory bowel disorder. I was put on the waiting list for a colonoscopy and endoscopy.

about 5 weeks ago, I got very sick. I was waking up at 5am each morning with severe diarrhoea, unbearable nausea and/or vomiting and a gripping/burning pain in the lower right of my belly. One morning, the diarrhoea was black and tar-like as if it had blood in it. The diarrhoea and feeling in my belly was unbearable. At my worst,

I even had diarrhoea on the sofa and didn't make it to the bathroom. I completely lost my appetite to the point of where I could only eat a small pot of jelly a day or suck on an ice lolly. I had a temperature, was sweating, couldn't stop shaking, couldn't stop urinating and had horrible burning in my right hip and lower back.

It got so bad that I went to A&E multiple times and on the worst day, ended up calling an ambulance. After blood tests, physical examinations, urine tests etc., they eventually admitted me after I came in the ambulance.

I was in hospital for 6 days in the end. They did stool tests and more blood tests, but nothing was coming up. On the 2nd or 3rd day, I experienced excruciating 'pain' in the lower right of my belly... I felt like something was going to explode. After a couple of hours of pain, I felt a strange 'pop' sensation and heat radiated throughout the lower right of my belly and my back. It was the strangest sensation I've ever felt... it felt like sunburn on the inside of my body. I explained this to a doctor and they got me in for a CT scan 2 days later. All that showed up was a small cyst on my right ovary, but they said the scan was very shaky from me moving about too much (I was in too much discomfort).

After that 'pop' happened, I very slowly and gradually started to be able to eat a bit more. I'd lost 9kg in total throughout this illness. As I was admitted, they moved my colonoscopy and endoscopy dates forward and I had them performed on my second to last day. Everything, including these tests, came back normal.

After 6 days, I was discharged with a 'suspected' diagnosis of an ovarian cyst and spent a further 6 days or so at home being very ill still. However, it wasn't as bad as before that 'pop' happened. Last Wednesday, I woke up feeling much better and started to eat meals again. It was the best feeling. I was 'well' again for just under a week, with the occasional bout of illness and feeling pretty weak/tired throughout the day. Despite my improvement, I'd already made the decision to go private and proceeded with my appointments. The consultant didn't suspect my experience was down to an ovarian cyst and said these cysts would never cause diarrhoea. However, she booked an ultrasound appointment in for me to be on the safe side.

A few days ago, I started to get ill again. Not to the same level as before, but still with the horrible diarrhoea/nausea in the mornings and gripping/burning feeling in my lower right. I attempted to go back to work for 2 days but I just couldn't cope. I've been off for a month now and have been told not to come back until I'm better.

I had my ultrasound scan yesterday and all it showed was a small cyst again, but not anything that would be suspected to be making me ill. The technician asked me if I'd had my appendix checked after hearing my symptoms, but I've had blood tests and scans and nothing has shown up. I left the appointment crying at a complete loss of what to do. I have a consultation Saturday but these appointments are costing a fortune and I'm not getting enough income with being off work.

I'm really starting to think it may be my appendix... I was leaning more towards the ovarian cyst issue before, but now I'm not so sure. It feels like something is swollen and rotten inside of me... I don't even know how best to describe it. I'm desperate to get better and I'm at the point where I'll do anything. Does anyone have any advice on the best steps for me to take? Has anyone been through a similar experience?

Thanks for reading!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

?Hi sami,  i  had pendisidus and i was opperated on imediatly as a rupture can poision the bloud stream, so my advicie would be, see your gp as soon as possible, take care, Andi.

• Posted

Your experience has been simply awful -  My suggestion is to head off to Emergency Dept. as soon as possible, and hope they are ok... my experience with Emerg is that sometimes the doctors are excellent, and other times, not at all.  If you find you get poor treatment at Emerg. head off to another hospital.  Your description of your symptoms sound very serious.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.