Apple cider vinegar

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone tried drinking Apple cider vinegar to help with hiatal hernia symptoms? I read that it works but I feel it's too acidic for me to try.

Kindly advise.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi i believe that we have had this discussion about a year ago . well i have now myself come off the ppis . i weaned myself off then very gradually over a time off four months . i didnt actually take the apple cider vinegar but drank theplain kefir and bicarbonate soda. But the vinegar is meant to be acidic , i learned over this last year that ppis strips you of stomach acid. And not enough acid can have the same symptoms as too much. it wont be easy coming off the ppis but if you get indigestion take a quater teaspoon of bicarb in four ounces of water drink it slowly if it works then it means that you need the acid !! but dont over do it .Also i have been taking probiotics for six months . i havent suffered for about six weeks with heartburn ect . if you need more info let me know . AS this is getting a long story . All the best fran

• Posted

Sounds like a load of crap to me. Here are all of the other "wonderful" things apple cider vinegar is alleged to do:

• Maintain healthy pH balance
    • Lower blood sugar
    • Increase healthy cholesterol (HDL) to keep heart healthy
    • Detoxify liver
    • Reduce belly fat
    • Eliminate harmful bacteria
    • Inhibit cancer growth
    • Prevent bone embrittlement
    • Slows aging process, makes you feel younger
    • Eliminates free radicals

Don't waste your money on apple cider vinegar. It's being marketed as an amazing cure all, just like all of the patent medicines of the past, which actually caused harm.

And if your hiatal hernia symptom is heartburn, I guarantee that drinking apple cider vinegar will make it worse.

If you Google apple cider vinegar, you will find glowing testimonials telling you how great it is. But these are the modern day equivalents of the shills that patent medicine hucksters planted in the crowds to help sell their crap.

• Posted

OK, this happens to be in my wheelhouse. I'm a retired research scientist, and my specialty was and is analytical chemistry.

If you take a quarter teaspoon of bicarbonate, and you feel better, it means you have TOO MUCH ACID. (I apologize for the caps but wanted to make the point clear.

Bicarbonate (more precisely sodium bicarbonate) neutralizes acids. A solution of sodium bicarbonate in water is actually alkaline, and if you consume enough to react with all of the acid in your stomach, your stomach will be alkaline.

Kefir is slightly acidic and contains lactic acid and acetic acid. Acetic acid is the acid in vinegar.

So if you are taking both kefir and sodium bicarbonate together, depending on which is the greater amount, you will be adding either a weak alkaline solution or a weak acid solution to your stomach.

Either way it goes you will definitely have gas to pass in your stomach (the amount depending on how much you take), because when sodium bicarbonate reacts with acids, it neutralizes the acid, and produces carbon dioxide gas.

• Posted

Thank you all for taking the time to reply,I appreciate your input. The internet is really feeding us a lot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.