Applying for p.i.p

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am main applicant on a joint esa claim with m.e/cfs and depression. I had an assesment which i passed and was put on work related so that my partner can get help from the jobcentre to find work, but my benefit didnt change. When my partner went to his first meeting they said i could get p.i.p but im clueless ive never heard about it and stuggle with phone calls. Will i need a new assesment or can my last one for esa be used ? Many thanks in advance

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amy,

Firstly i'm not sure why your partner would get help to find work with you being in the WRAG, as it should be the other way around. They should be helping you to eventually get back into work, which is what the WRAG is all about, as you're the main claimant.

PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's about how your conditions affect you daily. I can't post links but if you google PIP descriptors you'll see the criteria they use to score you points. There's to categories, daily living and mobility. To get an award you need at least 8 points in either or both of those for an award. You'll need evidence to suppport your claim and the more the better.

When you first ring the PIP helpline to start your claim off they'll ask you a few simple questions, name of doctor, address, bank details etc. Then they'll send you an extremely long form, very much like a book to fill in and return. You'll have 1 month from to return this along with all your evidence. Your file will then be sent to the assessment providers, they'll most likely ask you to attend a face 2 face assessment, like you did for ESA. They won't use your ESA assessment for PIP because they're 2 completely different benefits. ESA is for those with a limited capability for work, where as people claim PIP and work. Most people attend an assessment, it's very rare to have a paper based decision. Waiting times for an assessmsent from when you return that form vary wildly accross the country. Some are waiting just weeks while others are waiting months. It totally depends on the backlog in your area. You can ask for a home assessment but a letter from your GP will be needed, with the reasons why one is needed. The whole process for a PIP claim can take several months, or more. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Your best asking Denise, she’s very helpful and knows about things like that, sorry I couldn’t help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.